Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reflections of Thin film on the slab

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
i have some problems with simulating a problem about reflected and transmitted spectrum of a thin film of Si on the Silica slab because of multiple reflections of white light. (the thin film has variable height across the slab)
i have no idea how could i start the simulation of this.
and also i want to know that is it possible to simulate the visual appearance of this spectrum (as it seen by means of colors)?

please help me with this...
Thank you very much
Amir

2 Replies Last Post 08.06.2016, 16:09 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Amir

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 07.06.2016, 04:20 GMT-4
Hi, would you please tell me how to simulate a white light which is non-polarized?
Hi, would you please tell me how to simulate a white light which is non-polarized?

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 08.06.2016, 16:09 GMT-4
You might want to consider working with the scalar-wave equation setup provided in the Comsol Multiphysics-included basic (aka, "mathematics") package. But... I suspect you'd be better off using an actual optics code. I suspect that Comsol's RF and wave-optics models are more suitable if/when you actually know something about the vector-field waveform of interest, whether or not you choose to treat it as a fixed-frequency (sinusoidal) or a time-domain waveform. Just my two cents.
You might want to consider working with the scalar-wave equation setup provided in the Comsol Multiphysics-included basic (aka, "mathematics") package. But... I suspect you'd be better off using an actual optics code. I suspect that Comsol's RF and wave-optics models are more suitable if/when you actually know something about the vector-field waveform of interest, whether or not you choose to treat it as a fixed-frequency (sinusoidal) or a time-domain waveform. Just my two cents.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.