Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Resolution of narrow regions" (Mesh Parameter)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I don't understand the explanation I found in the user's guide concerning the mesh parameter "Resolution of narrow regions". It says, it controls the number of layers of elements that are created in narrow regions. Can someone give me more details ?
Thanks
Ronan

2 Replies Last Post 20.01.2010, 08:50 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21.12.2009, 10:00 GMT-5
Hi

the easiest is to set up a simple geometry i.e. in 2D with a rectangle and a or a few circles in tangeant contact, then mesh them from the "Free Mesh Parameters" window by selecting "custom mesh size" and you adapt your parameters (one at a time) to see their effects.

By selecting predefined mesh sizes, you see how these scale too when you switch back to "custom..."

You have the "undo mesh" to go a (few) steps back (depend on your options settings) or the "File Reset model" and separately "Reset to Defaults" to clear all your mesh and respective mesh defualts settings to start from scratch again

Note als that you get different results if you "remesh" the hole or just a few selected parts

The meeshing is also different if you are in "assembly mode" as then the node coincidence is not necessarily required over common borders.

For mesh refinement you have different behaviours: the 2D local "box" manual refinement, in 2D and 3D the selected element refinement, or the solve Adaptiv mesh refinement, all have different uses

As a general comment, you should test out the effect of the different variables/settings on simple cases before you run your "big" model

Hope this helps
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the easiest is to set up a simple geometry i.e. in 2D with a rectangle and a or a few circles in tangeant contact, then mesh them from the "Free Mesh Parameters" window by selecting "custom mesh size" and you adapt your parameters (one at a time) to see their effects. By selecting predefined mesh sizes, you see how these scale too when you switch back to "custom..." You have the "undo mesh" to go a (few) steps back (depend on your options settings) or the "File Reset model" and separately "Reset to Defaults" to clear all your mesh and respective mesh defualts settings to start from scratch again Note als that you get different results if you "remesh" the hole or just a few selected parts The meeshing is also different if you are in "assembly mode" as then the node coincidence is not necessarily required over common borders. For mesh refinement you have different behaviours: the 2D local "box" manual refinement, in 2D and 3D the selected element refinement, or the solve Adaptiv mesh refinement, all have different uses As a general comment, you should test out the effect of the different variables/settings on simple cases before you run your "big" model Hope this helps Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.01.2010, 08:50 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,
I just saw I forgot to say thanks for your answer!
Hi Ivar, I just saw I forgot to say thanks for your answer!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.