Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass element

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to add an additional feature to an existing model that only adds mass and does not add a stiffness. An element that acts only like a mass element. Is this possible in Comsol? I have Comsol Multiphysics and the Acoustics module.

Thanks,
Mihir

1 Reply Last Post 19.12.2009, 16:13 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.12.2009, 16:13 GMT-5
Hi

from my knowledge there is nothing like a "mass element" in Comsol, as there is no need for it, if you want to add a mass somhere you add it in through the equations applied to some boundary conditions, all depends what you are looking for.

The only physics having ponctual mass items on nodes (points) is the beam modes in structural module, you can take a look how COMSOL is adding the formulas for its physics in there (if you have the module) or check the documentation.

Basically you should look up explict and dependent variables, the physics and see how the mass interacts (do not forget that for transient time adds in, and for eigenmodes or harmonics the frequency effect your physics formulation) and write this out on the node you charge your mass on.

hope it helps on the way
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my knowledge there is nothing like a "mass element" in Comsol, as there is no need for it, if you want to add a mass somhere you add it in through the equations applied to some boundary conditions, all depends what you are looking for. The only physics having ponctual mass items on nodes (points) is the beam modes in structural module, you can take a look how COMSOL is adding the formulas for its physics in there (if you have the module) or check the documentation. Basically you should look up explict and dependent variables, the physics and see how the mass interacts (do not forget that for transient time adds in, and for eigenmodes or harmonics the frequency effect your physics formulation) and write this out on the node you charge your mass on. hope it helps on the way Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.