Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

microwave propagation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi, all
i am trying to simulate the distortion of microwave propagation by an object having different dielectric properties to its background. the microwave signal was sent by monopole or dipole antennas.

it seems a nonlinear problem to me. should i use RF time dependent analysis instead of time harmonic analysis?
if i want to simulate from 1GHz--2GHz with a step frequency of 0.1GHz, do i have to input each frequency?
the object and background have dielectric dispersions, how do i assign this dielectric dispersion to the object and background? (they have different dielectric properties at different frequencies.)

thank you for you reply. happy holiday

2 Replies Last Post 03.01.2010, 00:04 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.01.2010, 21:59 GMT-5
Based on your description, my initial thought is that conventional time-harmonic analysis applies. After all, in both 2D and 3D models using the RF module, you can specify a material's conductivity (sigma), which is what determines the lossiness of the material. This is seldom a strong function of frequency, for most ordinary dielectrics. If you want to study dispersion explicitly, then you should be able to specify a frequency-dependent value (or define a frequency dependent expression) for sigma.

It gets more interesting in the time domain version. The user-interface will still let you specify sigma, but clearly you could not define it explicitly as a function of frequency, since frequency has no well-defined value in a general time domain model. In principle, you could employ a time-dependent complex conductivity function, obtained via taking the Fourier-transform of your (presumably known) frequency-dependent conductivity function. I don't know if this would actually work or not, or what kind of solver-settings would then be best but I suspect the experts at Comsol could answer this. In particular, I expect such questions tend to arise in modeling plasmas.

I hope others will comment on your question further, since I would also like to hear what they have to say.
Based on your description, my initial thought is that conventional time-harmonic analysis applies. After all, in both 2D and 3D models using the RF module, you can specify a material's conductivity (sigma), which is what determines the lossiness of the material. This is seldom a strong function of frequency, for most ordinary dielectrics. If you want to study dispersion explicitly, then you should be able to specify a frequency-dependent value (or define a frequency dependent expression) for sigma. It gets more interesting in the time domain version. The user-interface will still let you specify sigma, but clearly you could not define it explicitly as a function of frequency, since frequency has no well-defined value in a general time domain model. In principle, you could employ a time-dependent complex conductivity function, obtained via taking the Fourier-transform of your (presumably known) frequency-dependent conductivity function. I don't know if this would actually work or not, or what kind of solver-settings would then be best but I suspect the experts at Comsol could answer this. In particular, I expect such questions tend to arise in modeling plasmas. I hope others will comment on your question further, since I would also like to hear what they have to say.

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.01.2010, 00:04 GMT-5

Based on your description, my initial thought is that conventional time-harmonic analysis applies. After all, in both 2D and 3D models using the RF module, you can specify a material's conductivity (sigma), which is what determines the lossiness of the material. This is seldom a strong function of frequency, for most ordinary dielectrics. If you want to study dispersion explicitly, then you should be able to specify a frequency-dependent value (or define a frequency dependent expression) for sigma.

It gets more interesting in the time domain version. The user-interface will still let you specify sigma, but clearly you could not define it explicitly as a function of frequency, since frequency has no well-defined value in a general time domain model. In principle, you could employ a time-dependent complex conductivity function, obtained via taking the Fourier-transform of your (presumably known) frequency-dependent conductivity function. I don't know if this would actually work or not, or what kind of solver-settings would then be best but I suspect the experts at Comsol could answer this. In particular, I expect such questions tend to arise in modeling plasmas.

I hope others will comment on your question further, since I would also like to hear what they have to say.

thank you Robert. it helps a lot.
i'll also paste my question in the modeling penal.
happy new year
[QUOTE] Based on your description, my initial thought is that conventional time-harmonic analysis applies. After all, in both 2D and 3D models using the RF module, you can specify a material's conductivity (sigma), which is what determines the lossiness of the material. This is seldom a strong function of frequency, for most ordinary dielectrics. If you want to study dispersion explicitly, then you should be able to specify a frequency-dependent value (or define a frequency dependent expression) for sigma. It gets more interesting in the time domain version. The user-interface will still let you specify sigma, but clearly you could not define it explicitly as a function of frequency, since frequency has no well-defined value in a general time domain model. In principle, you could employ a time-dependent complex conductivity function, obtained via taking the Fourier-transform of your (presumably known) frequency-dependent conductivity function. I don't know if this would actually work or not, or what kind of solver-settings would then be best but I suspect the experts at Comsol could answer this. In particular, I expect such questions tend to arise in modeling plasmas. I hope others will comment on your question further, since I would also like to hear what they have to say. [/QUOTE] thank you Robert. it helps a lot. i'll also paste my question in the modeling penal. happy new year

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.