Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling an ion-exchange packed-bed reactor

Rogelio Garcia Fernandez Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone!

I want to model an ion-exchange packed bed reactor. I would like to know which physics modules I should use. I need to model a packed bed tubular reactor in which the bed contains an ion-exchange resin. The material that is entering the reactor contains the ion that will be exchanged by the one in the resin, so the material at the outlet of the reactor we will have the ion that was originally in the resin.

I will really appreciate your help.

2 Replies Last Post 12.03.2019, 08:08 GMT-4

Posted: 5 years ago 18.02.2019, 03:18 GMT-5

If you get a reply, please tell it to me. I have tried to model an ion-exchange membrane with very little of success. Fixed charge within the membrane poses a difficult problem which I do not know how to approach. I have tried the electrostatics module combined with Transport of diluted species. Also I have tried Nernst-Planck equation with an infinitely small mobility of the fixed charges, but that does not give a plausible steady-state solution either.

If you get a reply, please tell it to me. I have tried to model an ion-exchange membrane with very little of success. Fixed charge within the membrane poses a difficult problem which I do not know how to approach. I have tried the electrostatics module combined with Transport of diluted species. Also I have tried Nernst-Planck equation with an infinitely small mobility of the fixed charges, but that does not give a plausible steady-state solution either.

Posted: 5 years ago 12.03.2019, 08:08 GMT-4

Hi

I found in the knowledge base a blog about ion-exchange membranes. That was exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps you could read it and get ideas to your own model. The model is included.

Hi I found in the knowledge base a blog about ion-exchange membranes. That was exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps you could read it and get ideas to your own model. The model is included.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.