Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Induction Heating Multiphysics & Thermal Expansion / Stress - Is This Possible?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I know Comsol can be used to simulate induction heating of a metal, but can I also simulate the thermal expansion and stresses as the metal heats up via a frequency-transient study? I would also be simulating convection and radiation in addition to heat conduction during this process. If the frequency-transiet study is not the correct study which should I use?

Also, can I save the thermally expanded geometry and apply a second study to the expanded geometry, or can I import the expanded geometry into another model to be remeshed for a different study?

1 Reply Last Post 04.04.2019, 16:05 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 04.04.2019, 16:05 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 04.04.2019, 16:17 GMT-4

Nathan,

this all is possible and you will have to go along a learning curve to realize it. I would advise to go step by step and bring in one coupling after the other and carefully verify each single step. Also take advantage of examples in the application library.

Good luck, Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Nathan, this all is possible and you will have to go along a learning curve to realize it. I would advise to go step by step and bring in one coupling after the other and carefully verify each single step. Also take advantage of examples in the application library. Good luck, Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.