Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flux boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I recently noticed the flux boundary condition in the new version is different from the old versions. For the flux boundary n.j=j_0 is j in the domain always considered as the diffusive j=-D(grad c) in the newer version? If I enable convection in the domain, does this the flux automatically switch to j=-D(grad c)+uc or I will have to manually adjust for the convective flux (uc) in terms of expression of j_0?

2 Replies Last Post 30.04.2019, 23:16 GMT-4

Posted: 5 years ago 25.04.2019, 06:02 GMT-4

Note that the normal component of u is zero, unless the boundary is permeable. How do you think that the flux would only be diffusion? What is your model like?

Note that the normal component of u is zero, unless the boundary is permeable. How do you think that the flux would only be diffusion? What is your model like?

Posted: 5 years ago 30.04.2019, 23:16 GMT-4

Hi Lasse,

I am using transport of diluted species with convection and diffusion in the conservative form. There is a constant inwards flux of the species at the boundary. My question is about the default expression for the flux j inside the domain. In my understanding if I have convective and diffusive transport in the domain then, flux at the boundary j_0 = -D(gradC)+uC The expression in comsol states n.j=j_0 In the earlier versions the j in the 'Transport' was defined as -D(gradC)+uC In the new version is only diffusive flux (Screenshot attached)?

Mayuri

Hi Lasse, I am using transport of diluted species with convection and diffusion in the conservative form. There is a constant inwards flux of the species at the boundary. My question is about the default expression for the flux **j** inside the domain. In my understanding if I have convective and diffusive transport in the domain then, flux at the boundary j_0 = -D(gradC)+**u**C The expression in comsol states **n.j**=j_0 In the earlier versions the **j** in the 'Transport' was defined as -D(gradC)+**u**C In the new version is only diffusive flux (Screenshot attached)? Mayuri

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.