Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

what's the meaning/definition of initial magnetic susceptibility

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello! I am studying the ''non linear_magnetostriction'' model in COMSOL. I'm confused about the meaning of "initial" in "initial magnetic susceptibility", whcih is a parameter of magnetostrictive material. Does it mean the magnetic susceptibility will change over time? But the study type is stationary, which means varibles do not change over time, so does initial magnetic susceptibility equal to magnetic susceptibility? thanks!

Regards Yi

4 Replies Last Post 05.05.2019, 09:16 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 25.04.2019, 05:43 GMT-4

Hi Yi,

'initial' is not related to time but to small fields close to zero.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Yi, 'initial' is not related to time but to small fields close to zero. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago 05.05.2019, 07:52 GMT-4

Hi Yi,

'initial' is not related to time but to small fields close to zero.

Cheers Edgar

Hello, Mr.Edgar Thank you very much for your reply. I still don't know the meaning of 'small fields close to zero'. I found that the initial magnetic susceptibility is larger, the magnetostriction is larger. how does initial magnetic susceptibility influence the magnetostriction? In addition, i haven't seen initial magnetic susceptibility in related paper, but i've seen magnetic susceptibility, are they the same? thanks a lot.

regards Yi

>Hi Yi, > >'initial' is not related to time but to small fields close to zero. > >Cheers >Edgar Hello, Mr.Edgar Thank you very much for your reply. I still don't know the meaning of 'small fields close to zero'. I found that the initial magnetic susceptibility is larger, the magnetostriction is larger. how does initial magnetic susceptibility influence the magnetostriction? In addition, i haven't seen initial magnetic susceptibility in related paper, but i've seen magnetic susceptibility, are they the same? thanks a lot. regards Yi

Posted: 5 years ago 05.05.2019, 09:12 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 06.05.2019, 08:25 GMT-4

Look there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_law

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Look there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_law

Posted: 5 years ago 05.05.2019, 09:16 GMT-4

I tried to post a link, but the forum software obviously doesn't allow that any longer. Try searching for 'Rayleigh law' and 'magnetics'. And you already found it by yourself. For small fields the magnetic susceptibility is different from large fields.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
I tried to post a link, but the forum software obviously doesn't allow that any longer. Try searching for 'Rayleigh law' and 'magnetics'. And you already found it by yourself. For small fields the magnetic susceptibility is different from large fields.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.