Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conversion relationship between TNT equivalent and explosion pressure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

P0=140e6[N]*(Q/1[kg])^(2/3) "Load magnitude"

Hello everyone, I am having a problem now. I don't know what kind of physical quantity 140e6 is in the formula. How did it come from? Seek answers from the great gods, thank you first!

2 Replies Last Post 02.05.2019, 14:09 MESZ
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 30.04.2019, 15:22 MESZ

Hi,

The quoted expression is the definition of a parameter in the Wave Propagation in Rock Under Blast Loads example. That example is based on data in a report I wrote some 15 years ago, so I do not remember all details.

The force amplitude 140e6[N] must be considered just as a value that may be known from for example experience. In real life, there is of course some area on which the explosive acts, so the force is derived from a pressure amplitude times that area (which is not directly known in this example )

The fact that the peak pressure during an explosion is proportional to the power "2/3" of the amount of explosive is however well established in that field, if I remember correctly.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, The quoted expression is the definition of a parameter in the *Wave Propagation in Rock Under Blast Loads* example. That example is based on data in a report I wrote some 15 years ago, so I do not remember all details. The force amplitude 140e6\[N\] must be considered just as a value that may be known from for example experience. In real life, there is of course some area on which the explosive acts, so the force is derived from a pressure amplitude times that area (which is not directly known in this example ) The fact that the peak pressure during an explosion is proportional to the power "2/3" of the amount of explosive is however well established in that field, if I remember correctly. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago 02.05.2019, 14:09 MESZ

I think I understand, thank you very much for your answer.

Regards, Mr. Li

I think I understand, thank you very much for your answer. Regards, Mr. Li

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.