Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

divide boundary into smaller boundar

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear everyone,

How may I divide a 3d cylinder, into 360 equal parts of boundary ( one boudary for each degree) on the outer boundary of the cylinder?

thank you

7 Replies Last Post 26.09.2019, 14:31 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 25.09.2019, 10:22 GMT-4

There are ways to do it, but can you explain why you think you need to do that? It's quite possible that there's aa easier way to achieve your ultimate goal.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
There are ways to do it, but can you explain why you think you need to do that? It's quite possible that there's aa easier way to achieve your ultimate goal. Best, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago 25.09.2019, 10:24 GMT-4

There are ways to do it, but can you explain why you think you need to do that? It's quite possible that there's aa easier way to achieve your ultimate goal.

Best,

Jeff

i'm trying to assign different heat flux values for each degree on the cylinder. Ray tracing heating method is taking too much of my computer resource.

>There are ways to do it, but can you explain why you think you need to do that? It's quite possible that there's aa easier way to achieve your ultimate goal. > >Best, > >Jeff i'm trying to assign different heat flux values for each degree on the cylinder. Ray tracing heating method is taking too much of my computer resource.

Posted: 5 years ago 25.09.2019, 10:54 GMT-4

In real life, does the heat flux jump to a different value every degree, or does it vary smoothly over the cylinder?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
In real life, does the heat flux jump to a different value every degree, or does it vary smoothly over the cylinder? Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago 25.09.2019, 11:33 GMT-4

hi Jeff thanks for taking your time to answer

as you can see in the picture, i'm trying to simulate a parabolic trough and because of the way it is designed, most of the concentrated rays are at the bottom of the receiver.

The variation of the concentration of the heat flux can be shown in the second figure below.

hi Jeff thanks for taking your time to answer as you can see in the picture, i'm trying to simulate a parabolic trough and because of the way it is designed, most of the concentrated rays are at the bottom of the receiver. The variation of the concentration of the heat flux can be shown in the second figure below.

Posted: 5 years ago 25.09.2019, 13:34 GMT-4

OK, so that's what I suspected all along :)

In this case, rather than artificially subdividing the geometry into 360 pieces, you're much better off defining an Interpolation function using your data (which I presume you have in a file of some kind) and then calling it to apply it on the surface as a function of the angle. See the attached toy file. I defined a cylindrical coordinate system sys2, which I use when calling the interpolation function. I typed in the values that my interpolation function takes, but you can call the data from a file also.

I hope this helps.

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
OK, so that's what I suspected all along :) In this case, rather than artificially subdividing the geometry into 360 pieces, you're much better off defining an Interpolation function using your data (which I presume you have in a file of some kind) and then calling it to apply it on the surface as a function of the angle. See the attached toy file. I defined a cylindrical coordinate system sys2, which I use when calling the interpolation function. I typed in the values that my interpolation function takes, but you can call the data from a file also. I hope this helps.

Posted: 5 years ago 26.09.2019, 02:56 GMT-4

thanks Jeff! I'll give this a try

thanks Jeff! I'll give this a try

Posted: 5 years ago 26.09.2019, 14:31 GMT-4

OK, so that's what I suspected all along :)

In this case, rather than artificially subdividing the geometry into 360 pieces, you're much better off defining an Interpolation function using your data (which I presume you have in a file of some kind) and then calling it to apply it on the surface as a function of the angle. See the attached toy file. I defined a cylindrical coordinate system sys2, which I use when calling the interpolation function. I typed in the values that my interpolation function takes, but you can call the data from a file also.

I hope this helps.

Hi Jeff, your method works perfectly. thank you for the massive help!

>OK, so that's what I suspected all along :) > >In this case, rather than artificially subdividing the geometry into 360 pieces, you're much better off defining an Interpolation function using your data (which I presume you have in a file of some kind) and then calling it to apply it on the surface as a function of the angle. See the attached toy file. I defined a cylindrical coordinate system sys2, which I use when calling the interpolation function. I typed in the values that my interpolation function takes, but you can call the data from a file also. > >I hope this helps. Hi Jeff, your method works perfectly. thank you for the massive help!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.