Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating flow through a branched pipe

Natasha Systems biology

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to COMSOL. I am looking for a tool that can simulate flow through branched pipe.

I'd like to know if it is possible to simulate 1D solute transport in a pipe section that diverges into 2 sections and converges again .

4 Replies Last Post 25.11.2019, 02:43 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 20.11.2019, 13:23 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 20.11.2019, 08:33 GMT-5

Yes. This tutorial is for you.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Yes. [This tutorial](https://www.comsol.com/model/slurry-transport-12367) is for you. Best regards, Jeff

Natasha Systems biology

Posted: 4 years ago 20.11.2019, 23:49 GMT-5

Hi Jeff, Thanks a lot, I could follow the steps given in the tutorial. However, from what I understand the tutorial is for simulating pressure in the pipe system. I'm not sure how advection diffusion can be simulated. Could you please let me know if there is a tutorial available for simulating advection -diffusion of a solute in the same pipe system?

Hi Jeff, Thanks a lot, I could follow the steps given in the tutorial. However, from what I understand the tutorial is for simulating pressure in the pipe system. I'm not sure how advection diffusion can be simulated. Could you please let me know if there is a tutorial available for simulating advection -diffusion of a solute in the same pipe system?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 21.11.2019, 10:03 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 21.11.2019, 06:01 GMT-5

Hello,

The Pipe Flow Module does also offer an interface for modeling advection diffusion (and even chemical reactions if you need that), see attached screenshot. This link gives an overview of the Pipe Flow Module, and you can use File > Help > Documentation within the software to reach its detailed documentation, assuming your license includes that module. I don't know of a ready-made tutorial that illustrates that specific interface on the type of geometry you are working with, but all the Pipe Flow Module's interfaces follow the same general philosophy so the tutorials you'll find in the Application Libraries (also found under the File menu) for the Pipe Flow Module should still be helpful to you.

You can check whether your license includes the Pipe Flow Module by going to File > Used and Licensed Products.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello, The Pipe Flow Module does also offer an interface for modeling advection diffusion (and even chemical reactions if you need that), see attached screenshot. [This link](https://www.comsol.com/pipe-flow-module) gives an overview of the Pipe Flow Module, and you can use File > Help > Documentation within the software to reach its detailed documentation, assuming your license includes that module. I don't know of a ready-made tutorial that illustrates that specific interface on the type of geometry you are working with, but all the Pipe Flow Module's interfaces follow the same general philosophy so the tutorials you'll find in the Application Libraries (also found under the File menu) for the Pipe Flow Module should still be helpful to you. You can check whether your license includes the Pipe Flow Module by going to File > Used and Licensed Products. Best regards, Jeff

Natasha Systems biology

Posted: 4 years ago 25.11.2019, 02:43 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 25.11.2019, 04:21 GMT-5

Hi Jeff, Thank you. I could locate the Pipe flow module and follow the documentation given for pipe flow.

I did the following: I followed the tutorial that you had shared to create the pipe geometry .However, I couldn't successfully run for velocity.

For my system, I'd changed the diameter of the pipes. I wasn't able to change the length of pipe sections though.

I've the following doubts regarding the coordinate specification,

I don't understand why certain coordinates are mentioned twice. e.g. 80 0; 80 0. Is it required to mention twice when there is a curve?

Secondly, I've used the Add Physics icon to add simulate convection and diffusion of species in the pipe section. Here, I couldn't figure out how the velocity has to be specified. I'm simulating 1-dimensional system. The velocity tab requires x and y velocities.

In the documentation it is actually mentioned, "These systems can easily be coupled to other systems that cannot be described using the approximative methods in the Pipe Flow Module, but require a full description of the system's physics in 2D or 3D". If I am interested in simulating the fluid flow in 1D, can I simply set y velocity to zero?

Hi Jeff, Thank you. I could locate the Pipe flow module and follow the documentation given for pipe flow. I did the following: I followed the tutorial that you had shared to create the pipe geometry .However, I couldn't successfully run for velocity. For my system, I'd changed the diameter of the pipes. I wasn't able to change the length of pipe sections though. I've the following doubts regarding the coordinate specification, I don't understand why certain coordinates are mentioned twice. e.g. 80 0; 80 0. Is it required to mention twice when there is a curve? Secondly, I've used the Add Physics icon to add simulate convection and diffusion of species in the pipe section. Here, I couldn't figure out how the velocity has to be specified. I'm simulating 1-dimensional system. The velocity tab requires x and y velocities. In the documentation it is actually mentioned, "These systems can easily be coupled to other systems that cannot be described using the approximative methods in the Pipe Flow Module, but require a full description of the system's physics in 2D or 3D". If I am interested in simulating the fluid flow in 1D, can I simply set y velocity to zero?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.