Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Unable to Compute Third Order Space Derivative

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have been working on a project which requires the evaluation of a third order space derivative term in my 1-D PDE, and this is done using the Coefficient Form PDE module. I found that COMSOL outputs the third order derivative d^3u/dx^3 as zero under the results plot.

I know this is clearly not the case since the plot of uxx clearly shows a curve and not a constant.

Since then I have search the internet regarding this issue and have tried other methods of specifying the derivative, including defining a new variable

F=uxx

and plotting d(F,x) in the results section still returns zero for all values of x.

I have also tried different order Langrange shape functions (up to septic) and yet the results are still the same. I am baffled by this as I even tested for a simple function such as

u(x)=4x^4 +3x^3-2x^2+x+7

and I am still unable to obtain the third order space derivative under Results.

Any assistance on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2 Replies Last Post 24.11.2019, 01:52 GMT-5
Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 21.11.2019, 15:25 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 21.11.2019, 10:26 GMT-5

Hello, See: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/816/

Hello, See: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/816/

Posted: 4 years ago 24.11.2019, 01:52 GMT-5

Hi, thank you for you guidance, I have managed to resolve my problem. It turns out instead of specifying F=uxx under the 'variables' section, I have to add another PDE field and specify F as its dependant variable, with F=uxx.

Hi, thank you for you guidance, I have managed to resolve my problem. It turns out instead of specifying F=uxx under the 'variables' section, I have to add another PDE field and specify F as its dependant variable, with F=uxx.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.