Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plane symmetry /// Solid Mechanics Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I have a 3D model with a symmetry plane. I cannot find any boundary condition in my COMSOL's 5.0 Solid Mechanics module for symmetry. Am I missing it, or the symmetry boundary condition is forced by other available conditions indirectly?

Please help with this.

Cheers, Hossein

4 Replies Last Post 21.01.2020, 10:17 GMT-5
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 17.01.2020, 12:28 GMT-5

Hossein,

Symmetry BC is under More Constraints, as shown in the attached image.

Regards,

Sergei

Hossein, Symmetry BC is under More Constraints, as shown in the attached image. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 4 years ago 17.01.2020, 12:47 GMT-5

Dear Sergei,

Thanks for your quick response. My COMSOL v5.0 doesn't seem to have "More Constrains". Please see the attached. Could be hidden?

Thanks, Hossein

Dear Sergei, Thanks for your quick response. My COMSOL v5.0 doesn't seem to have "More Constrains". Please see the attached. Could be hidden? Thanks, Hossein

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 20.01.2020, 02:19 GMT-5

Hi Hossein,

The specialized boundary conditions under More Constraints are only present if you have the Structural Mechanics Module license. If not, you will have to express the boundary condition using the Prescribed Displacement node.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Hossein, The specialized boundary conditions under More Constraints are only present if you have the Structural Mechanics Module license. If not, you will have to express the boundary condition using the Prescribed Displacement node. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 4 years ago 21.01.2020, 10:17 GMT-5

Dear Henrik,

Thank you, I forced the symmetric boundary condition by using the Prescribed Displacement node, forcing zero out-of-symm.-plane displacement, and not imposing any other boundary condition on the symm. plane.

Cheers, Hossein

Dear Henrik, Thank you, I forced the symmetric boundary condition by using the Prescribed Displacement node, forcing zero out-of-symm.-plane displacement, and not imposing any other boundary condition on the symm. plane. Cheers, Hossein

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.