Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal contact resistance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOLers,

For heat sink problems, how comsol treat the thermal contact resistivity at the interface between the two materials if no "Thermal Contcat" boundary condition defined? Does it just assumes a perfect contact with thermal contact resistance = 0 [m^2.K/W]?

Regards, Tamer

1 Reply Last Post 26.07.2020, 19:23 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 26.07.2020, 19:23 GMT-4
Updated: 4 years ago 26.07.2020, 19:24 GMT-4

First, some Caveats: (1) I would have to see your specific model details and how you set it up to be sure of my answer, and (2) I only do thermal models occasionally. That said, I believe the answer to your question is yes. I.e., if you are modeling thermal phenomena and have two domains that adjoin with a common boundary, then the assumed thermal contact resistance would be zero at that boundary. Note that you can specify a non-zero thermal contact resistance at the boundary, if you wish to do so.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
First, some Caveats: (1) I would have to see your specific model details and how you set it up to be sure of my answer, and (2) I only do thermal models occasionally. That said, I believe the answer to your question is *yes*. I.e., if you are modeling thermal phenomena and have two domains that adjoin with a common boundary, then the assumed thermal *contact* resistance would be zero at that boundary. Note that *you can specify a non-zero thermal contact resistance* at the boundary, if you wish to do so.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.