Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

can't reproduce the capacitance value of the submarine cable example

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to reproduce the following Comsol example on submarine cable simulation: https://www.comsol.com/model/cable-tutorial-series-43431 Specifically, I am working on the models.acdc.submarine_cable_02_capacitive_effects example in the tutorial series. Because my Comsol version is 5.1, I can't open the example .mph file, so I am trying to make the model myself in Comsol 5.1 following the tutorial (https://www.comsol.com/model/download/526441/models.acdc.submarine_cable_02_capacitive_effects.pdf). I followed most of the steps in the tutorial, but since in comsol 5.1 there is no "terminal" domain condition, I used "terminal" boundary condition on one surface of the conductors. By far I am able to reproduce most of the results in the example. But somehow, when I use global evaluation to calculate the capacitance value of the three phases , the results (0.13, 2.1, 1.1 uF/km) are totally different from the example (0.14 uF/km). I attached my model in this post, can anyone help me to have a look and tell me why the capacitance I calculated for each phases are different from each other, and why they are not close to the tutorial?

0 Replies Last Post 15.01.2021, 12:42 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kingson Iah

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.