Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

When to turn the 'Large Deformation' on?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If I have a structure with total length about 300um, the deflection in one direction under the actuation is 100um (with Large Deformation = OFF) which has obviously exceeded the linear region.

I should not trust this 100um result, correct?

Instead, I should turn on the Large Deformation and re-run the model, correct?

Thanks.

C.M.S.

4 Replies Last Post 13.04.2017, 03:18 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.02.2010, 01:53 GMT-5
Hi

From what I read, my first reaction would be to say "Yes", and to compare the results, perhaps in steps starting with smaller loads to follow the on-linear the trend.

And, in anycase I can only suggest that you also do a couple of simplified hand calculations to check that your results seems correct.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi From what I read, my first reaction would be to say "Yes", and to compare the results, perhaps in steps starting with smaller loads to follow the on-linear the trend. And, in anycase I can only suggest that you also do a couple of simplified hand calculations to check that your results seems correct. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.08.2010, 15:44 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,
I that case are you saying that the large deformation on is mainly used when the results are non linear?

Assuming that I have a pre-stress condition that will linearize the results should I still use the Large Deformation on?

And lastly, in my condition if I have a circular membrane of 8 micron thickness and a 1 mm radius and clamped at the circumference, should I still set the large deformation to be on or off? I am still new at this and the manual does not seem to suggest on how shall I deal with this issues.

Hope that you could help in this matter.
Hi Ivar, I that case are you saying that the large deformation on is mainly used when the results are non linear? Assuming that I have a pre-stress condition that will linearize the results should I still use the Large Deformation on? And lastly, in my condition if I have a circular membrane of 8 micron thickness and a 1 mm radius and clamped at the circumference, should I still set the large deformation to be on or off? I am still new at this and the manual does not seem to suggest on how shall I deal with this issues. Hope that you could help in this matter.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.08.2010, 02:01 GMT-4
Hi

for me (in my understanding) I use large deformation for non-linear effects to get the cross elements 2nd order of the deformation in the calculations (see the structural doc)

but if I have a doubt (and in anycase wile setting up my models I work first WITHOUT large deformations as it's much quicker to solve) I run a "large deformation" case at the end, just to compare my results, in case of large diferences, I investigate further

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me (in my understanding) I use large deformation for non-linear effects to get the cross elements 2nd order of the deformation in the calculations (see the structural doc) but if I have a doubt (and in anycase wile setting up my models I work first WITHOUT large deformations as it's much quicker to solve) I run a "large deformation" case at the end, just to compare my results, in case of large diferences, I investigate further -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago 13.04.2017, 03:18 GMT-4
Hi
I would like to ask , set the large deformation switch where? or how to set the large deformation of the vertical cantilever beam?

Thank you in advance!
Hi I would like to ask , set the large deformation switch where? or how to set the large deformation of the vertical cantilever beam? Thank you in advance!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.