Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiphysic solving strategy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI there,
i am wondering is somebpdy could enlightnen me on the following;

I have atime dependant multiphysic model that i developped from scratch.
Every single part of the model runs exactely as expected.
Every partial coulping run as expected

When I couple ALL the part together it also run and provide correct solution on benchmark case... but the time step become ridiculously low [ ORDERS of magnitude smaller than in the above mentionned case] and simulation time goes from a~1hr for any of the partial solution I run to ~week [ BUT it runs tough].

My question is
What should I do to ID the reason of this explosion in computational time .. which has NO physical reason at all ?

Is there a way to see "after the fact what part of the model drives the time step to such a low value..?

Again I fail to see usefull info in the documentation. but I wonder if there is some options that could be activated that will create a log file with information on the solution process or if there are any other toos/methodl available

right now the only way I can think of is a blind "cut and try approach" which is inneficient and seem wrong to me given the overall sophistication of comsol

any suggestion out there?
thanks
jf

3 Replies Last Post 14.02.2010, 21:21 MEZ

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.02.2010, 19:14 MEZ
maybe scaling can be a problem for you, if you have difference in order of magnitude between your state vars. so, maybe individual scaling or tolerance can fine tune your model.

I would be interested to see how you can solve this. good luck.
maybe scaling can be a problem for you, if you have difference in order of magnitude between your state vars. so, maybe individual scaling or tolerance can fine tune your model. I would be interested to see how you can solve this. good luck.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.02.2010, 20:52 MEZ
I am affraid difference in time scale is not the problem [ all the partial problems are solved with almost the same time steps] which make sense because and the various piece of physics have the same time scale themselves.
I think it is a numerical issue and I am looking for some insight on how the solver handle the resolution to figure out where the problem is.
I am affraid difference in time scale is not the problem [ all the partial problems are solved with almost the same time steps] which make sense because and the various piece of physics have the same time scale themselves. I think it is a numerical issue and I am looking for some insight on how the solver handle the resolution to figure out where the problem is.

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.02.2010, 21:21 MEZ
-Hi, I meant "variable scaling". i.e. in fluid-structure interaction displacement is in order of 1e-8 while fluid is in order of 1e-3, and so on.
-Hi, I meant "variable scaling". i.e. in fluid-structure interaction displacement is in order of 1e-8 while fluid is in order of 1e-3, and so on.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.