Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic-Fluid Interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,
in order to simulate the behavior of a magnetorheological fluid i have created a steady flow in a 2D-tube that runs in vertical direction. At the middle of the tube i have permanent magnets on both sides of the tube. So far so easy, i had no problems generating the magnetic field but now i would like to connect the dynamic viscosity with the strength of the magnetic field. Actually, i don´t know which kind of model i´m supposed to use for this problem. Because in the Fluiddynamics i can only choose the navier-stoke-equation which is based on a newton fluid but mine should more or less behave like a Herschl-Bulkley or Casson-Fluid. In the navier-stoke model the viscosity is the same in the whole tube and in mine it should be different in every single point according to the magnetic field.
Can anybody tell me how to do this in comsol or do i need an additional modul to create such a model?

Any ideas, comments, corrections are very appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 20.04.2010, 09:53 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.03.2010, 05:51 GMT-4
I think that within3.5a you need to use the pde mode to write your own model and couple it with navier stoke.
it is possible to have viscosity as a function of space and time [ I know i have done that but as an externally defined function].
the good news is that it is possible .

have fun
jf
I think that within3.5a you need to use the pde mode to write your own model and couple it with navier stoke. it is possible to have viscosity as a function of space and time [ I know i have done that but as an externally defined function]. the good news is that it is possible . have fun jf

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.04.2010, 09:53 GMT-4
I can be not right, however I have following thoughts
Local action of a magnetic field on a magnetic liquid can is an equivalent of viscosity arising under the influence of a magnetic field.
I can be not right, however I have following thoughts Local action of a magnetic field on a magnetic liquid can is an equivalent of viscosity arising under the influence of a magnetic field.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.