Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Zoom Extents Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using COMSOL 3.5a. I have just noticed that if I draw a rectangle for example (80mm x 600um) and then click the "Zoom Extents" icon, my rectangle fits the screen, but completely looses its dimensions. It becomes more cube like!

This happens in the 2D and 3D draw mode. I am sure this has never happened before!

Is this a known bug?

Regards,
Tom

2 Replies Last Post 16.02.2011, 01:15 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tom Myers

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.02.2011, 11:27 GMT-5
It does the same thing in COMSOL 4.1.

The dimensions are the same, the model is not "broken".

It's just that the display ratio for the scales is changing (and yes, it's annoying).

I haven't found a way yet to allow auto-scale but locking the vertical and horizontal axis together so they always keep the same scale.

Anyone knows if there is an option to do this?
It does the same thing in COMSOL 4.1. The dimensions are the same, the model is not "broken". It's just that the display ratio for the scales is changing (and yes, it's annoying). I haven't found a way yet to allow auto-scale but locking the vertical and horizontal axis together so they always keep the same scale. Anyone knows if there is an option to do this?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.02.2011, 01:15 GMT-5
Hi

in 2D you have two ways to represent the scaling of your graphical coordinates: same fixed scale in x&y or a free scale separate for x and y, the latter is useful for MEMS devices or thin film stacks etc

in 3.5 you switch between the two modes by
a) double clicking the lower left graphics view border on the SCALE box, then
b) do a reset/rescale view = icon on the top

in v4 it is in the Definition View sub-node "P?reserve aspect ratio" + Zoom extent

I have noticed sometimes, having opened a file with separate scale, then close it and open another existing file this setting is remaining deselected, this is sometimes puzzling, I believe its in particular when opening older 3.5 files

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 2D you have two ways to represent the scaling of your graphical coordinates: same fixed scale in x&y or a free scale separate for x and y, the latter is useful for MEMS devices or thin film stacks etc in 3.5 you switch between the two modes by a) double clicking the lower left graphics view border on the SCALE box, then b) do a reset/rescale view = icon on the top in v4 it is in the Definition View sub-node "P?reserve aspect ratio" + Zoom extent I have noticed sometimes, having opened a file with separate scale, then close it and open another existing file this setting is remaining deselected, this is sometimes puzzling, I believe its in particular when opening older 3.5 files -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.