Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Manipulating the advancing front direction of the Free Mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3D unit cell which is the same when looking at it from either the x- or y-axis. I am looking at 2-phase flow using the phase field method through the unit cell, and have utilized symmetry as much as possible. However, due to some areas of high curvature in the unit cell and my computing power limits, I have some inverted mesh elements along a few of my boundaries. I believe that these are causing my solution to diverge and I wish to avoid them.

The peculiar issue is that the geometry causing these inverted elements is the same along both the x- and y-axis, as I mentioned before. However, there are much more inverted elements along the x-axis oriented subdomain than the y-axis subdomain. Could this somehow be a result of how the advancing front mesh generator works? If so, could I control the direction over which it meshes to avoid these inverted elements? I have read the documentation regarding avoiding inverted elements, however I can't refine these high curvature areas because this would then cause problems with the phase field method, which needs elements of approximately the same size to work properly.

Thanks for any insights!

-Caleb

0 Replies Last Post 01.04.2010, 16:54 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Caleb DeValve

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.