Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary setting problem in RF eigenfrequency mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If I want to use an open boundary condition in my mode,which kind of boundary setting is corresponding to ? scattering filed or matched layer? Noticing that I want to calculate the eigenmode/eigenfrequency,For example, the eigen mode in a waveguide? How can I calculate it ?Which mode should I use.Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 05.05.2010, 19:35 MESZ
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.05.2010, 19:35 MESZ
Hi

Well my response is a "réponse de Normand" I believe (each country has its own designation of that), I would say: "it depends".
The difference with COMSOL and other FEM programmes is that COMSOl is "open physics", while most others are pre-cooked engineering approaches (very roughly).
So my only advise is to re-read the RF docs and do several of the related exercices (as well as some of the ones you can find on the comsol web site). There are seveal on the pml's and on different waveguides cases.

Your case is it 2D or 3D (2D is preferred to start with until one masters the details), and which complexity ? ...

Thereafter you most probably will have the response as it applies specifically for your case.

Even better for a "kick start", if you are new to COMSOL RF, is to follow one of the advanced RF courses organised by COMSOL.

Sorry for not being more precise.

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Well my response is a "réponse de Normand" I believe (each country has its own designation of that), I would say: "it depends". The difference with COMSOL and other FEM programmes is that COMSOl is "open physics", while most others are pre-cooked engineering approaches (very roughly). So my only advise is to re-read the RF docs and do several of the related exercices (as well as some of the ones you can find on the comsol web site). There are seveal on the pml's and on different waveguides cases. Your case is it 2D or 3D (2D is preferred to start with until one masters the details), and which complexity ? ... Thereafter you most probably will have the response as it applies specifically for your case. Even better for a "kick start", if you are new to COMSOL RF, is to follow one of the advanced RF courses organised by COMSOL. Sorry for not being more precise. Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.