Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple question regarding time-harmonic plane wave

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to compare an incident plane wave produced in COMSOL with one produced in MATLAB to check if they give the same values.

In COMSOL I have created the plane wave and assigned expressions for the incident wave amplitude and incident pressure wave.

The model is set as stationary time-harmonic with the pressure acoustics app mode.

The domain is just a 2D circle with an outer boundary with radiation condition settings and the subdomain is set to the properties of water.

I experimented to compare the solution for when there is a cylinder object in the centre and when there is no geometry at all.

When there is an object present I get values for the fluctuating pressure and can see the scattering effects as expected, but when there is no object there, and I just want to observe the pressure wave in the domain, the solution gives me zero pressure.

I am very confused why COMSOL would not recognise the plane wave when the object is absent.

Does this have something to do with it being time-harmonic? Or could it be because it is a continuous wave coming from infinity and going to infinity?

Help!

Many thanks!!

Eileen =)

0 Replies Last Post 27.05.2010, 06:33 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eileen Kolster

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.