Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact modeling and time dependent model(Structural mechanics module)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all.
I'm modeling a user-defined viscoelastic material which is time dependent case and I'd like to use contact
modeling also in my model. But I noticed that the contact model can not be used with time dependent solver.
Do you have any idea about how to figure out this problem?
My model has plane strain and PDE module.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Yoon

24 Replies Last Post 04.10.2013, 05:56 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.06.2009, 07:27 GMT-4
HI Yoon,
I had the same problem whit a contact simulation into a structural dynamic problem. I solved for this problem by defining the contact pairs among parts being in contact. and I disabled the augmented lagrangian solver (which works only for stationary problems). In other words you force comsol to solve the contact problem without calcutating the pressure field at contact interface. For your application, I think you have to:
1. define contact pair2.
2. assign the penalty normal pressure equal to E/h (where E is the estimated stiffness of your part and h is the mesh size). In this way you are modifing the default boundary constraint equation.
3. solve the problem with the time-dependent solver.

If any error, try to change the E value (more or less stiff).

Good luck

Pasquale
HI Yoon, I had the same problem whit a contact simulation into a structural dynamic problem. I solved for this problem by defining the contact pairs among parts being in contact. and I disabled the augmented lagrangian solver (which works only for stationary problems). In other words you force comsol to solve the contact problem without calcutating the pressure field at contact interface. For your application, I think you have to: 1. define contact pair2. 2. assign the penalty normal pressure equal to E/h (where E is the estimated stiffness of your part and h is the mesh size). In this way you are modifing the default boundary constraint equation. 3. solve the problem with the time-dependent solver. If any error, try to change the E value (more or less stiff). Good luck Pasquale

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.06.2009, 10:01 GMT-4
Thank you for your reply, Pasquale.

Yoon
Thank you for your reply, Pasquale. Yoon

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.08.2009, 15:10 GMT-4
Hi Pasquale,

I was wondering if you could clarify part of the solution to this problem. If you use the time-dependent solver, there is no augmented lagrangian solver to disable. Any help would be great.

-Geoff
Hi Pasquale, I was wondering if you could clarify part of the solution to this problem. If you use the time-dependent solver, there is no augmented lagrangian solver to disable. Any help would be great. -Geoff

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.08.2009, 15:44 GMT-4

Dear all.
I'm modeling a user-defined viscoelastic material which is time dependent case and I'd like to use contact
modeling also in my model. But I noticed that the contact model can not be used with time dependent solver.
Do you have any idea about how to figure out this problem?
My model has plane strain and PDE module.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Yoon

Hallo, Yoon,
I have a same problem as you, I am using PDE module to define the viscoelastic material, the mechanical model contains contact problem. But I have tried many times to solve the problem, never get result.
By the way, this moment I only define linear 3D viscoelastic material something like the viscoelastic material model of COMSOL.
Did you solve the problem, can you give me some help. Thank you!
[QUOTE] Dear all. I'm modeling a user-defined viscoelastic material which is time dependent case and I'd like to use contact modeling also in my model. But I noticed that the contact model can not be used with time dependent solver. Do you have any idea about how to figure out this problem? My model has plane strain and PDE module. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. Yoon [/QUOTE] Hallo, Yoon, I have a same problem as you, I am using PDE module to define the viscoelastic material, the mechanical model contains contact problem. But I have tried many times to solve the problem, never get result. By the way, this moment I only define linear 3D viscoelastic material something like the viscoelastic material model of COMSOL. Did you solve the problem, can you give me some help. Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.08.2009, 16:11 GMT-4
Hi, all.

I'm still having a convergence problem. The solver never find the converged solution.
I'm stuck, literally.

Sorry, guys.

Yoon
Hi, all. I'm still having a convergence problem. The solver never find the converged solution. I'm stuck, literally. Sorry, guys. Yoon

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.08.2009, 16:10 GMT-4

HI Yoon,
I had the same problem whit a contact simulation into a structural dynamic problem. I solved for this problem by defining the contact pairs among parts being in contact. and I disabled the augmented lagrangian solver (which works only for stationary problems). In other words you force comsol to solve the contact problem without calcutating the pressure field at contact interface. For your application, I think you have to:
1. define contact pair2.
2. assign the penalty normal pressure equal to E/h (where E is the estimated stiffness of your part and h is the mesh size). In this way you are modifing the default boundary constraint equation.
3. solve the problem with the time-dependent solver.

If any error, try to change the E value (more or less stiff).

Good luck

Pasquale

Hi, Pasquale,
When I change the E value, I can obtain convergent result, but the simulation results also change with different E value. Can you explain the principle of this method, how can the simulation results also change with different E value? Thank you!
[QUOTE] HI Yoon, I had the same problem whit a contact simulation into a structural dynamic problem. I solved for this problem by defining the contact pairs among parts being in contact. and I disabled the augmented lagrangian solver (which works only for stationary problems). In other words you force comsol to solve the contact problem without calcutating the pressure field at contact interface. For your application, I think you have to: 1. define contact pair2. 2. assign the penalty normal pressure equal to E/h (where E is the estimated stiffness of your part and h is the mesh size). In this way you are modifing the default boundary constraint equation. 3. solve the problem with the time-dependent solver. If any error, try to change the E value (more or less stiff). Good luck Pasquale Hi, Pasquale, When I change the E value, I can obtain convergent result, but the simulation results also change with different E value. Can you explain the principle of this method, how can the simulation results also change with different E value? Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.08.2009, 09:52 GMT-4
Here are some tips for contact modeling with time dependent solver.

1. Modify the contact pairs definition in order to use a penalty method instead of the default augmented lagrangian technique. To use a penalty contact method you just need to change the normal penalty
factor expression to E/h*n where E is the Young modulus of the material h
the element size and n a parameter that you will play with in order to improve the convergence and the accuracy of the model. Typically, the higher of n, the better. However, too high value of n leads to convergence problem. Need some trade-off.
On the other hand, the expression can be treated as a constant if your model is not linear isotropic material.
Instead of E/h*n, use constant and adjust the constant to get converged solution.
Also, I found the initial contact pressure affects the convergency too. Adjust the pressure if you need.
Sometimes, weak constraints on or off does as well if your model is highly nonlinear.
I don't know why.

2. You need to go to the solve menu > solver manager > solve for page and remove (deselect) the contact pressure variable from the list. With this method you are no longer computing for the contact pressure.

I hope this helps.

Yoon.
Here are some tips for contact modeling with time dependent solver. 1. Modify the contact pairs definition in order to use a penalty method instead of the default augmented lagrangian technique. To use a penalty contact method you just need to change the normal penalty factor expression to E/h*n where E is the Young modulus of the material h the element size and n a parameter that you will play with in order to improve the convergence and the accuracy of the model. Typically, the higher of n, the better. However, too high value of n leads to convergence problem. Need some trade-off. On the other hand, the expression can be treated as a constant if your model is not linear isotropic material. Instead of E/h*n, use constant and adjust the constant to get converged solution. Also, I found the initial contact pressure affects the convergency too. Adjust the pressure if you need. Sometimes, weak constraints on or off does as well if your model is highly nonlinear. I don't know why. 2. You need to go to the solve menu > solver manager > solve for page and remove (deselect) the contact pressure variable from the list. With this method you are no longer computing for the contact pressure. I hope this helps. Yoon.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 05:43 GMT-5
I've been having a lot of trouble trying to complete a similar contact analysis. I cannot seem to be able to remove the Tn_cp1 from solve for menu.. I feel like this should be a really trivial task, but I don't see a way to remove it.

John
I've been having a lot of trouble trying to complete a similar contact analysis. I cannot seem to be able to remove the Tn_cp1 from solve for menu.. I feel like this should be a really trivial task, but I don't see a way to remove it. John

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 05:49 GMT-5
Also.. if I'm modeling an articulating surface, such as a ball and joint, do these boundaries have to be defined as contact pairs and identity pairs? or just contact pairs?
Also.. if I'm modeling an articulating surface, such as a ball and joint, do these boundaries have to be defined as contact pairs and identity pairs? or just contact pairs?

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 06:52 GMT-5
hi, everybody i post a transient contact model which could give some hint about how to cope with this difficult problem within comsol.
the trick is here to use the segragated solver to enable convergence
hi, everybody i post a transient contact model which could give some hint about how to cope with this difficult problem within comsol. the trick is here to use the segragated solver to enable convergence

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 11:06 GMT-5
Hi, Louvet

Thank you for your model. I think this is really good.

Wonseok
Hi, Louvet Thank you for your model. I think this is really good. Wonseok

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 11:06 GMT-5
Hi, Louvet

Thank you for your model. I think this is really good.

Wonseok
Hi, Louvet Thank you for your model. I think this is really good. Wonseok

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 15:13 GMT-5
Hey,

The recommendation is sort of helping. The problem is converging to a solution, but I'm also workin in 3d. I seem to run the simulation and the answer isn't harmonic and the video isl ike a 1 second clip of a slight deformation. Do the setting in the solve parameters have to be BDF?

John
Hey, The recommendation is sort of helping. The problem is converging to a solution, but I'm also workin in 3d. I seem to run the simulation and the answer isn't harmonic and the video isl ike a 1 second clip of a slight deformation. Do the setting in the solve parameters have to be BDF? John

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 15:15 GMT-5
Also, I can't seem to appply the loading over a period of time. It seems the loading is applied instantaneously and then teh simulation runs for a few seconds with no further deformations. How can I apply the loading over a specified time?

John
Also, I can't seem to appply the loading over a period of time. It seems the loading is applied instantaneously and then teh simulation runs for a few seconds with no further deformations. How can I apply the loading over a specified time? John

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.03.2010, 15:33 GMT-5
I'm sorry about the previous posts. Apparently, I only set the contact to be identity pairs and not contact pairs. When I set them to contact pairs, I am still getting an error..

Step Time Stepsize Res Jac Sol Order Tfail NLfail
0 0 out 100 12 100 0
Group #1: 50 6 50
Group #2: 50 6 50

Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.

In the actual boundary conditions of the pair, I copied and pasted the same expression as your model. However, i replaced the E with the modulus, and the bottom portion with a mesh size of 1, and I ran the analysis. I also created a second group in the solve parameters.

John
I'm sorry about the previous posts. Apparently, I only set the contact to be identity pairs and not contact pairs. When I set them to contact pairs, I am still getting an error.. Step Time Stepsize Res Jac Sol Order Tfail NLfail 0 0 out 100 12 100 0 Group #1: 50 6 50 Group #2: 50 6 50 Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged. In the actual boundary conditions of the pair, I copied and pasted the same expression as your model. However, i replaced the E with the modulus, and the bottom portion with a mesh size of 1, and I ran the analysis. I also created a second group in the solve parameters. John

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2010, 05:02 GMT-5

hi, everybody i post a transient contact model which could give some hint about how to cope with this difficult problem within comsol.

First of all, thx for your file.
I was wondering how you determined the tolerance values for u v and Tn_cp1.
Is this done by trial & error or did you realy have an idea of all this values.
[QUOTE] hi, everybody i post a transient contact model which could give some hint about how to cope with this difficult problem within comsol. the trick is here to use the segragated solver to enable convergence [/QUOTE] First of all, thx for your file. I was wondering how you determined the tolerance values for u v and Tn_cp1. Is this done by trial & error or did you realy have an idea of all this values.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2010, 05:04 GMT-5

First of all, thx for your file.
I was wondering how you determined the tolerance values for u v and Tn_cp1.
Is this done by trial & error or did you realy have an idea of all this values.
[QUOTE] hi, everybody i post a transient contact model which could give some hint about how to cope with this difficult problem within comsol. the trick is here to use the segragated solver to enable convergence [/QUOTE] First of all, thx for your file. I was wondering how you determined the tolerance values for u v and Tn_cp1. Is this done by trial & error or did you realy have an idea of all this values.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2010, 06:24 GMT-5
this file was send me by the comsol support,i have worked on a similar problem in 3D with the dimension and velocity near from this example. I didn't have to twist my mind on the tolerance because my model converge with these values. try to adapt the tolerance regarding to the dimensions,displacements and velocity in your model. Probably the tolerance on the traction unknown is more drived by the velocity. If you won't succed, try the comsol support .....

this file was send me by the comsol support,i have worked on a similar problem in 3D with the dimension and velocity near from this example. I didn't have to twist my mind on the tolerance because my model converge with these values. try to adapt the tolerance regarding to the dimensions,displacements and velocity in your model. Probably the tolerance on the traction unknown is more drived by the velocity. If you won't succed, try the comsol support .....

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.03.2010, 00:40 GMT-4
In the boundary contact pn..

your model has the following:

E_smps/hmin_cp1_smps*min(1e-3*5^segiter,1)

where is E_smps and hmin_cp1_smps stored? When I enter this line into my 3d simulation, it can't find the values and can't run the simulation.

When I put my own values in, the simulation still will not converge.

John
In the boundary contact pn.. your model has the following: E_smps/hmin_cp1_smps*min(1e-3*5^segiter,1) where is E_smps and hmin_cp1_smps stored? When I enter this line into my 3d simulation, it can't find the values and can't run the simulation. When I put my own values in, the simulation still will not converge. John

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.03.2010, 00:43 GMT-4
Attached is my comsol file. If someone can go through it and debug it, that would be great.

I am trying to simulate a joint and cup.

Every subdomain is free.

The only boundary constraints are on the back of the cup which is constrained fixed.

As for the ball.. its stem has a force being applied on the stem boundary.

I am trying to simulate its motion given this force.

Thanks!
Attached is my comsol file. If someone can go through it and debug it, that would be great. I am trying to simulate a joint and cup. Every subdomain is free. The only boundary constraints are on the back of the cup which is constrained fixed. As for the ball.. its stem has a force being applied on the stem boundary. I am trying to simulate its motion given this force. Thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago 23.11.2010, 17:43 GMT-5
Hi, all,

I'm doing transient contact modeling. I tried to adjust the penalty factor and it works in some case. But it didn't work when finer mesh was used. I thought this may be due to smaller mesh size and I adjust the penalty factor to E/n (where n is a constant number), it still worked when coarse mesh was used and didn't work when finer mesh was used. Do you have any idea why this happened?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Hongqiang

Here are some tips for contact modeling with time dependent solver.

1. Modify the contact pairs definition in order to use a penalty method instead of the default augmented lagrangian technique. To use a penalty contact method you just need to change the normal penalty
factor expression to E/h*n where E is the Young modulus of the material h
the element size and n a parameter that you will play with in order to improve the convergence and the accuracy of the model. Typically, the higher of n, the better. However, too high value of n leads to convergence problem. Need some trade-off.
On the other hand, the expression can be treated as a constant if your model is not linear isotropic material.
Instead of E/h*n, use constant and adjust the constant to get converged solution.
Also, I found the initial contact pressure affects the convergency too. Adjust the pressure if you need.
Sometimes, weak constraints on or off does as well if your model is highly nonlinear.
I don't know why.

2. You need to go to the solve menu > solver manager > solve for page and remove (deselect) the contact pressure variable from the list. With this method you are no longer computing for the contact pressure.

I hope this helps.

Yoon.

Hi, all, I'm doing transient contact modeling. I tried to adjust the penalty factor and it works in some case. But it didn't work when finer mesh was used. I thought this may be due to smaller mesh size and I adjust the penalty factor to E/n (where n is a constant number), it still worked when coarse mesh was used and didn't work when finer mesh was used. Do you have any idea why this happened? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Hongqiang [QUOTE] Here are some tips for contact modeling with time dependent solver. 1. Modify the contact pairs definition in order to use a penalty method instead of the default augmented lagrangian technique. To use a penalty contact method you just need to change the normal penalty factor expression to E/h*n where E is the Young modulus of the material h the element size and n a parameter that you will play with in order to improve the convergence and the accuracy of the model. Typically, the higher of n, the better. However, too high value of n leads to convergence problem. Need some trade-off. On the other hand, the expression can be treated as a constant if your model is not linear isotropic material. Instead of E/h*n, use constant and adjust the constant to get converged solution. Also, I found the initial contact pressure affects the convergency too. Adjust the pressure if you need. Sometimes, weak constraints on or off does as well if your model is highly nonlinear. I don't know why. 2. You need to go to the solve menu > solver manager > solve for page and remove (deselect) the contact pressure variable from the list. With this method you are no longer computing for the contact pressure. I hope this helps. Yoon. [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.04.2011, 12:36 GMT-4
Hi there,

Which version of Comsol are you using? It must be older than 3.5, cause It isn't letting me open it. However, could you post a newer version of the file?, or could you just break it down for me step by step, cause I've already followed what says in the forum, but it ain't working.

Thank you
Hi there, Which version of Comsol are you using? It must be older than 3.5, cause It isn't letting me open it. However, could you post a newer version of the file?, or could you just break it down for me step by step, cause I've already followed what says in the forum, but it ain't working. Thank you

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.05.2011, 13:34 GMT-4
What do you mean by Quasi-static contact?
What do you mean by Quasi-static contact?

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.10.2013, 05:56 GMT-4
There is an error and file is not getting opened can you please run the same problem in new COMSOL version and can you please attach that model again :)
It will be a great help from your side if you do it:)
There is an error and file is not getting opened can you please run the same problem in new COMSOL version and can you please attach that model again :) It will be a great help from your side if you do it:)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.