Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Definition of step function in time-harmonic analysis.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to define a step function as boundary condition in time-harmonic analysis. For example, (a(t)>b)*a+(a(t)<b)*b. But since in time-harmonic analysis, any boundary condition can not be a function of time, can any one give me a help about how to deal with this kind of situation?

Thank you very much.

1 Reply Last Post 16.02.2011, 02:46 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.02.2011, 02:46 GMT-5
Hi

boolean step function are nice but the resulting function is not derivable, hence the solver that relies on derivatives for its projections have some issues and often will not converge, you should use Heaviside functions (see the numerous treads on the forum, and the doc) to smoothen your transitions.

Then I agree changing the BC with time means you are changing the modes with the time which means for me that you are imposing some schizophrenic behavior on the time-harmonic solver. I do not expect that will give any reasonable results, standard transient would probably be better for such BC cases

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi boolean step function are nice but the resulting function is not derivable, hence the solver that relies on derivatives for its projections have some issues and often will not converge, you should use Heaviside functions (see the numerous treads on the forum, and the doc) to smoothen your transitions. Then I agree changing the BC with time means you are changing the modes with the time which means for me that you are imposing some schizophrenic behavior on the time-harmonic solver. I do not expect that will give any reasonable results, standard transient would probably be better for such BC cases -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.