Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time dependent study crashes at missing thermal resistance parameter

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,

i encountered a weird problem regarding a time dependent study solving heat transfer in terms of thermal resistance intersections. First of all, im working with Comsol 5.3a and a stationary solver succeeds the problem. However, applying time dependent heat transfer values by unchanged thermal resistance values, the solver crashes telling me the variable "comp1.ht.tl1.ds" is undefined. After a short investigation, i found out that this variable is supposed to declare the layer thickness of the applied thermal resistance surface. My question now is, why comsol tries to find such a value for time dependent studies whily stationary solver do not AND why the module does not provide any possibility to enter a layer thickness. How am i supposed to provide variables when comsol does not even demand them? I can only enter the resistance value and no layer thickness .....

Even though, i found a workaround declaring the missing layer thickness as an global variable and setting the thickness to very small values. Might this cause any problems concerning solver accuracy ?

Best Regards, Max

0 Replies Last Post 01.04.2019, 08:31 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Maximilian Stiegler

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.