Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Units in Finite Element Computations in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I would like to ask when I set the geometric dimensions as millimeters, what do I need to set for the unit of Young's modulus? still Pa? or others? Best wishes J

2 Replies Last Post 23.11.2020, 09:56 GMT-5
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 20.11.2020, 20:00 GMT-5

As long as you write the material constants with units, Comsol will take care of the conversion.

As long as you write the material constants with units, Comsol will take care of the conversion.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 23.11.2020, 09:56 GMT-5

If you just write numbers, without explicit units, they are assumed to have the unit that is shown to the right of the text field. These default units are affected by the unit system selection that can be made both at the top level (root) node and for each Component node. Thus, different components can even have different unit systems.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
If you just write numbers, without explicit units, they are assumed to have the unit that is shown to the right of the text field. These default units are affected by the unit system selection that can be made both at the top level (root) node and for each Component node. Thus, different components can even have different unit systems.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.