Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Uniform Compression of a Block - Bulk Modulus

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to validate a bulk modulus calculation on a simple cube of a linear solid. I apply a uniform force per area on all six sides of the cube (all in compression). But I cannot get the model to solve, it keeps failing because the relative error is greater than the relative tolerance. Any ideas?

I'm sure this is some simple thing I am overlooking.

Thanks
Chris

1 Reply Last Post 07.03.2013, 10:44 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.03.2013, 10:44 GMT-5
If you are doing a stationary analysis you need sufficient boundary conditions to make the model stable. For your case you can model one eighth of the cube and apply symmetry boundary conditions on the 3 cut faces.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If you are doing a stationary analysis you need sufficient boundary conditions to make the model stable. For your case you can model one eighth of the cube and apply symmetry boundary conditions on the 3 cut faces. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.