Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cell Convection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!
I need some tricks to know how can I simulate my problem.

I've got a rectangular cell ( 4cm height, 2,5 width, 3 mm thick) with a dilute suspension in it.
I want to investigate the possibile convection motion arising from different temperatures on the walls and from the sedimentaion of those particles ( 3 micron diamater ), but comsol offer me so many options that I'm a bit puzzled :s
(which physics should i use?? laminar flow? thermal flow? dilute suspension? or multiphysics?)

Another problem is that comsol always ask me to set inflow and outflow but i'm ina stationery condition and i don't have any flow but only sedimentation.

Finally i would like to know if is possibile to simulate a sedimentation of these colloids

Can anybody help me?

Thank you :)

1 Reply Last Post 14.03.2013, 17:52 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.03.2013, 17:52 GMT-4
Hi

well COMSOL has many possibilities, but first one must analyse the model to identify which variables are driving and which are driven, which known and unknown ...

in CFD inlet outlet are not required, but if not used (closed system, one must not forget to fix a auge pressure somewhere in the mode (generally at any one "point" is enough)

to analyse sedimentation, one must probably use particle module

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well COMSOL has many possibilities, but first one must analyse the model to identify which variables are driving and which are driven, which known and unknown ... in CFD inlet outlet are not required, but if not used (closed system, one must not forget to fix a auge pressure somewhere in the mode (generally at any one "point" is enough) to analyse sedimentation, one must probably use particle module -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.