Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solver: stationary vs. stationary segregated

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am simulating the deformation of an artery with FSI in Comsol. I have set initial stress conditions in the arterial wall, such that when a pressure of 80 mmHg is applied inside the artery, the wall should not deform.

I solved the model both with stationary and stationary segregated solvers. With stationary sovler, I get a maximal deformation of 9.852e-6 m. With stationary segregated, I get a maximal deformation of 5.289e-6 m.

Which solver can I trust more? The initial stress conditions where estimated, so that I cannot guarantee that they actually ensure no deformation at all. I can therefore not say that the sovler which outputs the smallest deformation is the better one. Is there a theoretical answer to which solver is best to solve this kind of problem?

Thanks for any help. Regards,

Alois Pfenniger

2 Replies Last Post 08.06.2010, 18:08 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.06.2010, 05:15 GMT-4
For FSI I would go with stationary solver, as it solves it monolithically. The field of partitioned solver for FSI is a bit tricky and depends highly on your problem, i.e. if densities are close to each other or not. Nevertheless, it is not only the solver type which matters, but the tolerances, iteration numbers, ...
For FSI I would go with stationary solver, as it solves it monolithically. The field of partitioned solver for FSI is a bit tricky and depends highly on your problem, i.e. if densities are close to each other or not. Nevertheless, it is not only the solver type which matters, but the tolerances, iteration numbers, ...

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.06.2010, 18:08 GMT-4
Hi,

Thanks for your help which is much appreciated!

Regards, Alois Pfenniger
Hi, Thanks for your help which is much appreciated! Regards, Alois Pfenniger

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.