Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Model Checks

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a way to check a model before running the analysis?

It seems that it is quite easy to forget something basic like specifying a material property. The analysis will still process but then generate an error.

All other FE packages have some kind of model check which can be conducted before analysis. I can't find this in COMSOL.

This is real basic stuff. I am wasting huge amounts of time debugging a mesh and model as a result of this.

3 Replies Last Post 07.12.2010, 08:22 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.07.2010, 15:39 GMT-4
Hi

Yes there are, in 3.5a it was the "Solve - Get initial values" that filled in the matrices and stop after the starting point. This is still there in V4, it is called "Compute to selected" at the lower solver node level.

This allows you to check your initial conditions, without having to wait for a full solution run, which can take a long time.

By the way in V4 you also have the "Study - Solver Configuration - Solver - Right-click - Other - Refresh" to update your solution when you add operators or variables for postprocessing.

have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Yes there are, in 3.5a it was the "Solve - Get initial values" that filled in the matrices and stop after the starting point. This is still there in V4, it is called "Compute to selected" at the lower solver node level. This allows you to check your initial conditions, without having to wait for a full solution run, which can take a long time. By the way in V4 you also have the "Study - Solver Configuration - Solver - Right-click - Other - Refresh" to update your solution when you add operators or variables for postprocessing. have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.12.2010, 10:41 GMT-5

Hi

Yes there are, in 3.5a it was the "Solve - Get initial values" that filled in the matrices and stop after the starting point. This is still there in V4, it is called "Compute to selected" at the lower solver node level.

This allows you to check your initial conditions, without having to wait for a full solution run, which can take a long time.

By the way in V4 you also have the "Study - Solver Configuration - Solver - Right-click - Other - Refresh" to update your solution when you add operators or variables for postprocessing.

have fun Comsoling
Ivar

Hi,
I don't see "Study - Solver Configuration - Solver - Right-click - Other - Refresh".
I am using COMSOL 4.0

Why is that? Please help!

Bao

[QUOTE] Hi Yes there are, in 3.5a it was the "Solve - Get initial values" that filled in the matrices and stop after the starting point. This is still there in V4, it is called "Compute to selected" at the lower solver node level. This allows you to check your initial conditions, without having to wait for a full solution run, which can take a long time. By the way in V4 you also have the "Study - Solver Configuration - Solver - Right-click - Other - Refresh" to update your solution when you add operators or variables for postprocessing. have fun Comsoling Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi, I don't see "Study - Solver Configuration - Solver - Right-click - Other - Refresh". I am using COMSOL 4.0 Why is that? Please help! Bao

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.12.2010, 08:22 GMT-5
Hi

you need to update to latest 4.1 then, 4.0 does not have all features yet

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need to update to latest 4.1 then, 4.0 does not have all features yet -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.