Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CAD import file boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 2D model I've imported from CAD that consists of many interlinked hexagons making up a larger hexagon (like a big hexagon with smaller hexagon-shaped holes throughout). I'm trying to do a steady-state diffusion simulation in COMSOL using this model, but I'm stymied when it comes to identifying boundary conditions. I go to physics---->boundary settings, but all the boundary selections are grayed out and unavailable. I thought this might be some issue with the interior boundaries, but toggling that option has no effect (all boundaries are still unavailable). I have no problem constructing a system from scratch and entering BC's. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Using COMSOL 3.5a, diffusion module.

I've tried Googling this problem til my eyes bled, but to no avail.

3 Replies Last Post 05.12.2012, 14:49 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.11.2012, 14:57 GMT-5
Hi

its COMSOl that cannot for som ereason, connect the lines you import into surfaces, and then to "geomanalyze" these into true domains and boundaries.

There are the split nad combine (create surface or solid) functions in the geometry ection, probably they had a slightly different name in 3.5

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi its COMSOl that cannot for som ereason, connect the lines you import into surfaces, and then to "geomanalyze" these into true domains and boundaries. There are the split nad combine (create surface or solid) functions in the geometry ection, probably they had a slightly different name in 3.5 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.12.2012, 12:35 GMT-5
Thanks Ivar. I think your suggestions are valid, but for some reason they're not working for me. The CAD import has definitely just brought over an assembly of lines instead of shapes, which is difficult to work with. Given the complexity of the system, I'd rather not redraw it in COMSOL but will if I have to. I'm including the file to give an idea of what's going on.

Thanks!
Adam
Thanks Ivar. I think your suggestions are valid, but for some reason they're not working for me. The CAD import has definitely just brought over an assembly of lines instead of shapes, which is difficult to work with. Given the complexity of the system, I'd rather not redraw it in COMSOL but will if I have to. I'm including the file to give an idea of what's going on. Thanks! Adam

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.12.2012, 14:49 GMT-5
Hi

then it must be you rgeometry that is nota true 3D volume (or 2D surface). I'm stuck witha "blue screen" no COMSOL tonight ;) I'll might be able to take a look tomorrow
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi then it must be you rgeometry that is nota true 3D volume (or 2D surface). I'm stuck witha "blue screen" no COMSOL tonight ;) I'll might be able to take a look tomorrow -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.