Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Improving Robustness in consideration of changing material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Comsol community!

I have successfully built the skeleton of my model! However, when I alter the material properties (dynamic viscosity and density in this case), the model stops working. I mean major alterations, in the ballpark of 1-3 orders of magnitude. Is there anything other than mesh size and time step that I could change to make this work?

One idea is in the scaling of variables. Does comsol change its default scaling values as I change the property values? Does anyone have experience with manually adjusting scale?

Just to recap, I have a model that runs well, but it only converges quickly with certain material properties. As I alter these properties it takes longer and longer to converge until it starts failing at t=0.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Replies Last Post 24.02.2016, 12:22 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Richard Andreotta

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.