Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mapping from 2D to 3D in axisymmetric case with moving mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I have results from a 2D axisymmetric model of a micro pump.To solve the problem I have used ALE and FSI. Now I need to map the results in 3D. I have actually done that using the initial mesh. Is it possible to do it on the moving mesh also? I have tried doing that but it shows the results at the reference mesh and nothing on the deformed mesh. Is there any way to do that?

Regards,
Amer

7 Replies Last Post 27.11.2010, 11:56 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.11.2010, 15:27 GMT-5
Hi

are you in 3.5 or v4 ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you in 3.5 or v4 ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.11.2010, 16:42 GMT-5
Hey Ivar,

On my lab computer, I am using 3.5.
Although, I have v4 on my laptop but I haven't really gotten my hands dirty on it.

Regards,
Amer
Hey Ivar, On my lab computer, I am using 3.5. Although, I have v4 on my laptop but I haven't really gotten my hands dirty on it. Regards, Amer

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.11.2010, 03:05 GMT-5
Hi

I'm not sure how to in 3.5 (any longer).
In >=4.1 it's a specific subnote (must admit I havent tried for ALE but why shouldnt it be ok ?)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure how to in 3.5 (any longer). In >=4.1 it's a specific subnote (must admit I havent tried for ALE but why shouldnt it be ok ?) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.11.2010, 06:01 GMT-5
Hey again,

This is what I get if I map on ALE mesh. Could it be because of resolution?

It doesn't plot where the mesh has deformed.

(I am attaching the image.)

// Amer
Hey again, This is what I get if I map on ALE mesh. Could it be because of resolution? It doesn't plot where the mesh has deformed. (I am attaching the image.) // Amer

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.11.2010, 08:10 GMT-5
Hi,

If I well understood your problem, you are trying to revolve your solution from 2D axial-symmetric to 3D. This is possible and quite easy. There is a step by step model in the doc.

However, I think that the ALE solution (motion of your mesh) cannot be revolved!! You need to get it in a full 3D model.

I hope it helps
Hi, If I well understood your problem, you are trying to revolve your solution from 2D axial-symmetric to 3D. This is possible and quite easy. There is a step by step model in the doc. However, I think that the ALE solution (motion of your mesh) cannot be revolved!! You need to get it in a full 3D model. I hope it helps

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.11.2010, 08:16 GMT-5
Hi
Strange, unfortunately I do not have 3.5 with me ;) cannot say more

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Strange, unfortunately I do not have 3.5 with me ;) cannot say more -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2010, 11:56 GMT-5
Hej,

Thanks for your replies!

Can anyone come up with an example in v4? (without ALE). I could try it and lets see if that would work with ALE too.

Regards,
Amer
Hej, Thanks for your replies! Can anyone come up with an example in v4? (without ALE). I could try it and lets see if that would work with ALE too. Regards, Amer

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.