Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

application mode subdomain variables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everybody,

I am dealing with a naviers stoke , heat transfer and meridional induction currents application (actually a GTAW arc simulation).

I would like to use a subdomain variable from the meridional induction currents application (Bphi azimuthal component of magnetic flux) in the volumic force term of the navier stokes application. But I encounter some problems. A warning appears that Bphi is not defined. How can I use this Bphi term in the volumic force term of the navier stokes application

In the user guide manual I read the sentence below.

"You can use any function of these application mode subdomain variables when postprocessing the result of the analysis. It is also possible to use these variables in the expressions for the physical properties in the equations."

Is it possible to use Bphi in another application just when postprocessing or is there a way to use it in the main solution.

Atilla

7 Replies Last Post 28.11.2010, 13:32 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.11.2010, 18:36 GMT-5
Hi

It would help if you told us out here precisely wich version, and which application mode / physics <ou are referring to, the predeefined links below are handy for just that ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It would help if you told us out here precisely wich version, and which application mode / physics

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2010, 03:47 GMT-5
Thank you Ivar,

Comsol 3.5a

Incompressible Navier Stokes (ns)
General Heat Transfer (htgh)
Meridional Electric and Induction Currents, Potentials (emqap)

Atilla

Thank you Ivar, Comsol 3.5a Incompressible Navier Stokes (ns) General Heat Transfer (htgh) Meridional Electric and Induction Currents, Potentials (emqap) Atilla

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2010, 04:41 GMT-5
This warning message appears:

Error: 6170
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: Bphi
This warning message appears: Error: 6170 Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: Bphi

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2010, 05:11 GMT-5
Hi

I do not have 3.5a at home, and the naming has changed so its not trivial for me to try something out in v4.1, but already with the "meridional ..." you ask for B along the angle phi, probably out of plane (are you in 3D or 2D-axi?)

something in your model is not setting enough BC's to have COMSOL solving for all variables.

There are also some limitations on the mixing of certain physics in 3.5a, have you checked that your solver mode (static, frequency ...) is compatible with all application modes you are mixing ? cehck in the reference guides

last could it be a naming error that you have forgotten an " _emqap" in one of the linking equations ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have 3.5a at home, and the naming has changed so its not trivial for me to try something out in v4.1, but already with the "meridional ..." you ask for B along the angle phi, probably out of plane (are you in 3D or 2D-axi?) something in your model is not setting enough BC's to have COMSOL solving for all variables. There are also some limitations on the mixing of certain physics in 3.5a, have you checked that your solver mode (static, frequency ...) is compatible with all application modes you are mixing ? cehck in the reference guides last could it be a naming error that you have forgotten an " _emqap" in one of the linking equations ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.11.2010, 11:36 GMT-5
Hi,

My problem is in 2-D axisymmetric and all the application modes are stationary

I am going to check the reference guide

thanks

Atilla
Hi, My problem is in 2-D axisymmetric and all the application modes are stationary I am going to check the reference guide thanks Atilla

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.11.2010, 10:56 GMT-5
Hi

you are sure its not because you have written "Bphi" in the NS equation and you should (to tell COMSOL its coming from another application) have written "Bphi_emqap" ? (or whatever it was in v3.5a, I have poblems to remember all these old/new names and conventions ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are sure its not because you have written "Bphi" in the NS equation and you should (to tell COMSOL its coming from another application) have written "Bphi_emqap" ? (or whatever it was in v3.5a, I have poblems to remember all these old/new names and conventions ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.11.2010, 13:32 GMT-5
Ivar,

Thank you, "Bphi_emqap" solved the problem.

Atilla
Ivar, Thank you, "Bphi_emqap" solved the problem. Atilla

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.