Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PDEs in general form

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear users,

I never used COMSOL before, and i would like to understand whether it can be used to solve my problem.
I need to solve a boundary value problem defined by a system of coupled nonlinear PDEs in 2D.

Since i'm not familiar with COMSOL, i started with something easier, namely I would like to solve a single nonlinear PDE in 2D (rectangular domain).

I think I would need to use General Form PDE node in COMSOL. However, my test equation is of the following form:

x*u^2*(2*ux+x*uxx)-uy^2+u*(Cot(y)*uy+uyy)=0

supplied by suitable boundary conditions at the boundaryies (here u=u(x,y) and ux is the first derivative and so on...) The expression itself is not important, since it is just a test, but i stress that I would like to work with PDEs in this form.

Now, i have 2 questions:

1) should I always use the General Form given by COMSOL? Couldn't I just write the PDE in its form above?

2) Accordingly to the Help, the source term "f" in the General Form can "be function of the spatial coordinates, the solution u, and the space derivatives of u". Thus, in principle, I could set Gamma=0 (always in the notation used in General Form) and just have a PDE in the form

f=f(u,ux,uy,uxx,uxy,uyy,...)=0

which is what I would like to have. However, in doing so I get some error (singular matrix).
I also checked this by integrating the Laplace equation.
If i choose Gamma=(ux,uy) and f=0, the program works,
if I choose Gamma=0 and f=uxx+uyy (which should be equivalente, accordingly to the Help) it gives Singular Matrix.

I made a search in the Discussion Forum, but didn't find anything helpful.
Thanks in advance,

Paolo

1 Reply Last Post 28.11.2010, 11:00 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.11.2010, 11:00 GMT-5
Hi

I would say, try the coefficient form, and fill in as much as possible in the left side, leave whatever leftover to the right.

Check that really all the other coefficients are =0

In case higher than second order, you must split the equations by using new variables

Even It should work with the General form, again move as much as possible to the left side of the "="

there are a few books showing examples of math with COMSOL (even if with older FEMLAB versions), the one of Zimmermann is the one I prefer, see the books section of comsols web site

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say, try the coefficient form, and fill in as much as possible in the left side, leave whatever leftover to the right. Check that really all the other coefficients are =0 In case higher than second order, you must split the equations by using new variables Even It should work with the General form, again move as much as possible to the left side of the "=" there are a few books showing examples of math with COMSOL (even if with older FEMLAB versions), the one of Zimmermann is the one I prefer, see the books section of comsols web site -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.