Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC/DC Physics, mef.Bz and mef.normB

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,
I am working with AC/DC>mef and I want to calculate the mutual inductance of two parallel coils.
The method that I am using is: M=(Integral of magnetic flux over the surface of the second coil)/I1.
For surface integral, I can use mef.normB or mef.Bz and although the coils are perpendicular to the z axis, the results of these two integrals are not exactly the same.
can you please help me to find why they are not exactly the same.
Thanks

7 Replies Last Post 15.07.2016, 11:39 GMT-4

Posted: 8 years ago 12.07.2016, 03:37 GMT-4
Hi,

first normB is wrong.

For a more detailed answer what to do we will need more info. Is it 2D or 3D? I assume 3D because
there is a Bz.

The coils are closed lines, right? Then you chose a surface (yes "a" because there can be many) and integrate the dot product of B and the surface normal. If the surface happens to be normal to the z-axis, it is an integral over Bz.

However, this may be numerically not a good choice. If you look into vector calculus you find that
the flux is equal to the line integral of the vector potential over the closed line. This is better because
B is a (numerical) derivative and A is the plain degree of freedom.

If your coil is a volume region then this becomes more difficult but you can follow the same idea.

Regards

Jens
Hi, first normB is wrong. For a more detailed answer what to do we will need more info. Is it 2D or 3D? I assume 3D because there is a Bz. The coils are closed lines, right? Then you chose a surface (yes "a" because there can be many) and integrate the dot product of B and the surface normal. If the surface happens to be normal to the z-axis, it is an integral over Bz. However, this may be numerically not a good choice. If you look into vector calculus you find that the flux is equal to the line integral of the vector potential over the closed line. This is better because B is a (numerical) derivative and A is the plain degree of freedom. If your coil is a volume region then this becomes more difficult but you can follow the same idea. Regards Jens

Posted: 8 years ago 12.07.2016, 12:27 GMT-4
Appreciate Jens,

1) yes it is 3-D model
2) The coils are planar and spiral. We use PCB tracks as coils.
3) To compute the surface integral of flux (for the secondary), I compute this integral for each surface (assumed for each turn) separately and then add them to find the total flux passed through all turns in secondary (that is generated by primary).

- Are you suggesting to use the line integral of the vector potential over the closed line instead of B?
- Why normB is wrong?

By the way, I tried to attach the mph file but it was too large. Is there any specific trick to make it smaller?

Regards,
Babak

Appreciate Jens, 1) yes it is 3-D model 2) The coils are planar and spiral. We use PCB tracks as coils. 3) To compute the surface integral of flux (for the secondary), I compute this integral for each surface (assumed for each turn) separately and then add them to find the total flux passed through all turns in secondary (that is generated by primary). - Are you suggesting to use the line integral of the vector potential over the closed line instead of B? - Why normB is wrong? By the way, I tried to attach the mph file but it was too large. Is there any specific trick to make it smaller? Regards, Babak

Posted: 8 years ago 13.07.2016, 02:13 GMT-4
To shrink the model you can remove the solution and the mesh (in the Edit-menu). Also you can
compact the history (File-menu)

normB is wrong because it neglects direction If you have an in-plane field nomrB might be
non-zero but the flux is zero.

Yes the integral I am thinking of is flux=int(A.dl). Make sure that the tangential vectors follow
the direction of the current flow.

I don't see yet how a spiral, planar and closed line is possible without intersection.

Jens

To shrink the model you can remove the solution and the mesh (in the Edit-menu). Also you can compact the history (File-menu) normB is wrong because it neglects direction If you have an in-plane field nomrB might be non-zero but the flux is zero. Yes the integral I am thinking of is flux=int(A.dl). Make sure that the tangential vectors follow the direction of the current flow. I don't see yet how a spiral, planar and closed line is possible without intersection. Jens

Posted: 8 years ago 13.07.2016, 14:00 GMT-4
Thank you Jens,
I attach the model to have the better understanding of my model.
For Magnetic vector potential: flux=int(A.dl) A is the magnetic vector potential normal to the current flow, but in my model, the secondary coil is open and there is no current flow, therefore the only thing that I should be sure about that is: the magnetic vector direction is in the same direction with coil conductor: Then, because coil is square and in the X-Y plane, I should have two integral in X and two integral in Y direction, Right?
Regards,
Babak
Thank you Jens, I attach the model to have the better understanding of my model. For Magnetic vector potential: flux=int(A.dl) A is the magnetic vector potential normal to the current flow, but in my model, the secondary coil is open and there is no current flow, therefore the only thing that I should be sure about that is: the magnetic vector direction is in the same direction with coil conductor: Then, because coil is square and in the X-Y plane, I should have two integral in X and two integral in Y direction, Right? Regards, Babak

Posted: 8 years ago 14.07.2016, 03:33 GMT-4
The files helps. The wires are not lines but volume domains and it is not strictly planar. So
much of I wrote yesterday is not applicable. One trick that you can do for the primary coil is
to integrate
(mef.Jx*Ax+mef.Jy*Ay+mef.Jz*Az)/10[A]
over the coil volume. The current vector over the current gives the direction of the coil.

For the secondary coil you can define the directions in the variable definition an do a similar
integration.

Regards

Jens
The files helps. The wires are not lines but volume domains and it is not strictly planar. So much of I wrote yesterday is not applicable. One trick that you can do for the primary coil is to integrate (mef.Jx*Ax+mef.Jy*Ay+mef.Jz*Az)/10[A] over the coil volume. The current vector over the current gives the direction of the coil. For the secondary coil you can define the directions in the variable definition an do a similar integration. Regards Jens

Posted: 8 years ago 14.07.2016, 03:41 GMT-4
> For the secondary coil you can define the directions in the variable definition an do a similar
> integration.

I've just seen that it not so easy, you may need to cut the domains such that each straight
part is a domain by itself.

Jens
> For the secondary coil you can define the directions in the variable definition an do a similar > integration. I've just seen that it not so easy, you may need to cut the domains such that each straight part is a domain by itself. Jens

Posted: 8 years ago 15.07.2016, 11:39 GMT-4
thanks Jens,
you are saying to integral (mef.Jx*Ax+mef.Jy*Ay+mef.Jz*Az)/10[A] over primary?
I just need to calculate induced voltage in the secondary and if I compute the above integral in the secondary and divide by 10 [A], which is the primary current, it gives the mutual inductance, am I right?
we can neglect the tiny deviation from strict planar, and approximately we can consider the above analysis correct, do you agree?
thanks Jens, you are saying to integral (mef.Jx*Ax+mef.Jy*Ay+mef.Jz*Az)/10[A] over primary? I just need to calculate induced voltage in the secondary and if I compute the above integral in the secondary and divide by 10 [A], which is the primary current, it gives the mutual inductance, am I right? we can neglect the tiny deviation from strict planar, and approximately we can consider the above analysis correct, do you agree?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.