Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Regardin litz wire simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

This is Raj. I am new to comsol. I want to design a coil in 3D using litz wire. can any one help me how to draw a litz coil physically in comsol. Thanks in advenced.

Regards,
Raj

4 Replies Last Post 09.02.2011, 05:38 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.02.2011, 10:46 GMT-5
Hi

normally you use the new 4.1 N turn coil BC that is set up for that, without drawing all the individual wires, which would make a meshing going rapidly above normal RAM limits

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you use the new 4.1 N turn coil BC that is set up for that, without drawing all the individual wires, which would make a meshing going rapidly above normal RAM limits -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.02.2011, 16:25 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your useful information. First i have to clarify one thing. You want me to use 3D or 2D axisymmetric. can i find N turn coil BC function in 3D( mef ) ? Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Raj
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your useful information. First i have to clarify one thing. You want me to use 3D or 2D axisymmetric. can i find N turn coil BC function in 3D( mef ) ? Thanks for your help. Regards, Raj

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.02.2011, 01:47 GMT-5
Hi

you are right the ultiturn domain BC are only in 2D and 2D axi, you must add them by hand yourself (via the equations) in 3D. In anycase 2D-axi is always adviceable, when possible, at least until you haveing a working mode, then one can port it to 3D as often there is easily factor 10 in processing time

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are right the ultiturn domain BC are only in 2D and 2D axi, you must add them by hand yourself (via the equations) in 3D. In anycase 2D-axi is always adviceable, when possible, at least until you haveing a working mode, then one can port it to 3D as often there is easily factor 10 in processing time -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.02.2011, 05:38 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

My simulation is almost same but the thing is my coils are normal copper wires(Not litz wires). I have two coils of 10 turns and wire thickness .25mm. I have give 1A current at 1MHz is given into coil one and i have to observe the induced current, proximity and skin effect. Can any boby help me how to start. I have some basic idea. I am attaching my model. Thanks for all.

Regards,
Pranith Tummala
Hi Ivar, My simulation is almost same but the thing is my coils are normal copper wires(Not litz wires). I have two coils of 10 turns and wire thickness .25mm. I have give 1A current at 1MHz is given into coil one and i have to observe the induced current, proximity and skin effect. Can any boby help me how to start. I have some basic idea. I am attaching my model. Thanks for all. Regards, Pranith Tummala

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.