Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interesting Problem regarding valves question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello there,

I am about to attempt to model the flow of air set at a certain pressure following the release of a valve. I have yet to begin the computational modeling of this yet, but I do have the mesh and have done some stress analysis on the materials. I come here asking for some advice or some direction pointing.

What I am hoping to do is have pins holding air in a compartment release, allowing the pressurized air to escape towards the outlet. What I want to see is 1: the streamlines of the air, 2: the pressure at the outlet, 3: the velocity at the outlet.

My theoretical approach is somewhat similar to that of the fluid valve, peristalic pump, and the bioengineering tutorials in the structural model library. I will have N-S eqtns and solid,stress,strain physics applied. I will treat the wall of the valve that opens as the pins are treated in the fluid valve and create a boundary at this point for later fluid inlet. I will run a quasi-static stress on the walls of the valve, then I will store the solution and then for the fluid flow aspect I will move the wall of the valve and set that boundary line to the fluid inlet using the pressure I got from the answer from the earlier calculation. I will then set the outlet to open boundary.

This may work, might be pretty darn hard. The main thing I am trying to model here is just the flow of air released after being trapped in a given volume at a given pressure. Any ideas to help me sort this thing out. I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Daniel

0 Replies Last Post 08.02.2011, 23:01 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dan Student

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.