Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric Material Contents Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate a piezoelectric diaphragm using 6H-SiC, in COMSOL 4.1, and I'm getting an error which I believe is due to the Elasticity Matrix, Coupling Matrix and Relative Permittivity of the material not being defined. However, when I go to those parameters in the Material Content section they have assigned values although the simulation will not run. Is there a reason why the default values will not work for this material?

2 Replies Last Post 02.03.2011, 07:44 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.03.2011, 02:31 GMT-5
Hi

The default material library SiC (6H) is not set up for PZT convention material properties, only for standard structural.

In COMSOL the convention for PZT materials is different from standard structural materiela in the tensor order (IEEE convention) So you must adapt the tensor matrix. (But I didnt know that SiC was piezoelectric)

If it is because you use it as a structural material then you must add a "Linear Elastic Material Model" (right click the PZD main node) and define your domain to be for the SiC

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi The default material library SiC (6H) is not set up for PZT convention material properties, only for standard structural. In COMSOL the convention for PZT materials is different from standard structural materiela in the tensor order (IEEE convention) So you must adapt the tensor matrix. (But I didnt know that SiC was piezoelectric) If it is because you use it as a structural material then you must add a "Linear Elastic Material Model" (right click the PZD main node) and define your domain to be for the SiC -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.03.2011, 07:44 GMT-5
Thank you for the help. I'm going to need to look into this more thoroughly before simulating anything. I'm new to using COMSOL so I'm learning while I try to figure this all out. In 3.5 it would allow me to simulate using 6H-SiC and the Piezosolid model, but that may have been drastically inaccurate if the default parameters are not configured for the Piezosolid model. I'm looking into the piezoelectric effect of SiC, actually 3C and not 6H, for the use in a pressure sensor, however it may be the piezoresistive properties that I will be utilizing and not actually the piezoelectric properties. Thanks again for the help.
Thank you for the help. I'm going to need to look into this more thoroughly before simulating anything. I'm new to using COMSOL so I'm learning while I try to figure this all out. In 3.5 it would allow me to simulate using 6H-SiC and the Piezosolid model, but that may have been drastically inaccurate if the default parameters are not configured for the Piezosolid model. I'm looking into the piezoelectric effect of SiC, actually 3C and not 6H, for the use in a pressure sensor, however it may be the piezoresistive properties that I will be utilizing and not actually the piezoelectric properties. Thanks again for the help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.