Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh refinement in COMSOL 4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I got a problem when I tried to refine the mesh in COMSOL 4.1. I attached a very simple test here: 1D stead heat conduction problem.
I tried to specify the maximum mesh size for the entire domain. However, comsol gave me warning message and did not generate the mesh at all.

This could be easily done in comsol 3.5a using free mesh parameter. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks!

Hainan

2 Replies Last Post 31.03.2011, 15:52 GMT-4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 31.03.2011, 03:05 GMT-4
Hi,

In the model you have attached, there is no meshing node. Right-click the Mesh 1 node and select Edge; the Size node's settings then applies to the mesh that the Edge node creates.

The default in 4.1 is to use a physics-controlled mesh, for which you can control the element size from the "Element size" list in the Settings window for the main Mesh node.

If you add a Size node for a physics-controlled mesh, the mesh sequence type switches to a user-controlled mesh. You then have to add an Edge node for the actual meshing. If you instead directly switch to a user-controlled mesh in the main Mesh node, COMSOL Multiphysics automatically adds a Size node and a "mesher node" (an Edge node in 1D geometries).

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi, In the model you have attached, there is no meshing node. Right-click the Mesh 1 node and select Edge; the Size node's settings then applies to the mesh that the Edge node creates. The default in 4.1 is to use a physics-controlled mesh, for which you can control the element size from the "Element size" list in the Settings window for the main Mesh node. If you add a Size node for a physics-controlled mesh, the mesh sequence type switches to a user-controlled mesh. You then have to add an Edge node for the actual meshing. If you instead directly switch to a user-controlled mesh in the main Mesh node, COMSOL Multiphysics automatically adds a Size node and a "mesher node" (an Edge node in 1D geometries). Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 31.03.2011, 15:52 GMT-4
Hi Magnus,

Thanks a lot! I got it~

Hainan
Hi Magnus, Thanks a lot! I got it~ Hainan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.