Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D nanosecond pulsed laser simulation on comsol v4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

please i want to add 3D nanosecond laser to COMSOL v4, and i want to have its irradiation curve like a gaussian pulse.

Thanks
Mohamed Youssef

5 Replies Last Post 13.07.2011, 13:54 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohamed Youssef

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.06.2011, 17:00 GMT-4
The density of the energy distribution can be modeled by a Gaussian, if that is what you need.
You can use Q = const*z*exp(-(z+z0-c*t)^2/sigz^2)*exp(-r^2/sigr^2)
Where the constant = 2*c*(energy deposited by single bunch)/(pi*sqrt(pi0*sigz*sigr^2*target thickness)
For energy distributed through entire depth of target
The density of the energy distribution can be modeled by a Gaussian, if that is what you need. You can use Q = const*z*exp(-(z+z0-c*t)^2/sigz^2)*exp(-r^2/sigr^2) Where the constant = 2*c*(energy deposited by single bunch)/(pi*sqrt(pi0*sigz*sigr^2*target thickness) For energy distributed through entire depth of target

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.07.2011, 04:17 GMT-4
Pulse duration: 10 ns
Intensity: 10 W/cm^2

For the given parameters and 2-D cylindrical geometry, how can I write a heat source equation?

P.s: For now, I have just used (I0*a), where I0 is intensity and a is the absorption coefficient of the related domain. I am looking for temporal and spatial parts of this source term: I0*a*(temporal term)*(spatial term).

Thanks
Pulse duration: 10 ns Intensity: 10 W/cm^2 For the given parameters and 2-D cylindrical geometry, how can I write a heat source equation? P.s: For now, I have just used (I0*a), where I0 is intensity and a is the absorption coefficient of the related domain. I am looking for temporal and spatial parts of this source term: I0*a*(temporal term)*(spatial term). Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.07.2011, 11:27 GMT-4
What are your geometry parameters?
What are your geometry parameters?

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.07.2011, 12:56 GMT-4
I have used a rectangle with a small plane at the left in it?
I have used a rectangle with a small plane at the left in it?

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.07.2011, 13:54 GMT-4
The Gaussian I gave you will have units of W/m^3 so that is not applicable in this case.What exactly do you want the pulse to do?
The Gaussian I gave you will have units of W/m^3 so that is not applicable in this case.What exactly do you want the pulse to do?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.