Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Way to implement a soft source inside model ?? (RF module, Optics)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was trying to simulate a 3D multilayer model containing a 2D grating structure as shown in the attachment figure.

Since the whole structure is not entirely enclosed by a homogeneous surrounding, so the scattered harmonic propagation can not be used in version 3.5. There is a similar example in the model library shown in the link: www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/6141/ . In this example, assembly, identity pair, and port are used.

Since identity pair cannot be implemented in V4.1. I wonder how to simulate the model shown in attached figure in v4.1. Is there a way in v4.1 to implement a soft source inside the model like the port in the model shown in the link above.

3 Replies Last Post 10.06.2011, 09:12 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.06.2011, 05:43 GMT-4
As far as I know, it is not possible. Only scattered formulation could mimic a true soft source but that works only in a limited scenario as you pointed out. In 4.x, they did introduce the possibility of placing port boundaries just inside the PMLs but the support people confirmed that it does not function properly that way.

My suggestion would be that if you don't require multi-node parallelism on cluster then switch back to 3.5a. It has got assembly pairs in the RF module which will easily allow you to do what you want. There is a tutorial shared on the forum sometime ago which explains the whole process very nicely.

All the best,
Shakeeb
As far as I know, it is not possible. Only scattered formulation could mimic a true soft source but that works only in a limited scenario as you pointed out. In 4.x, they did introduce the possibility of placing port boundaries just inside the PMLs but the support people confirmed that it does not function properly that way. My suggestion would be that if you don't require multi-node parallelism on cluster then switch back to 3.5a. It has got assembly pairs in the RF module which will easily allow you to do what you want. There is a tutorial shared on the forum sometime ago which explains the whole process very nicely. All the best, Shakeeb

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.06.2011, 09:11 GMT-4
Thank you.

It is a large model, so it is better to use cluster. Although I still can not make the cluster work.
Thank you. It is a large model, so it is better to use cluster. Although I still can not make the cluster work.

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.06.2011, 09:12 GMT-4
Thank you.

It is a large model, so it is better to use cluster. Although I still can not make the cluster work.
Thank you. It is a large model, so it is better to use cluster. Although I still can not make the cluster work.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.