Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic insulation in simple AC/DC geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am brand new to COMSOL. I am trying to replicate the basic Modeling of a 3D Inductor tutorial in v. 4.2 using my own geometry and am having trouble getting it right. I am trying to setup a simple copper loop with magnetic insulation boundary conditions. I created an air gap and infinite elements sphere as in the tutorial. I am modeling the loop as a 330 degree arc of a torus with the air gap as the remaining 30 degrees.

The problem I am having is that the boundary of the wire is "not applicable" for magnetic boundary conditions. I believe I am setting the geometry up incorrectly -- in the tutorial it is imported. What is the correct way to create this model?

My model is attached.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 22.08.2011, 09:09 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.08.2011, 09:09 GMT-4
Hi,

When You add mef physics to the model You can see few default nodes in the model tree. But You can add another nodes by clicking right mouse button on "Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef)". This way You can put another Magnetic Insulation node and select any boundary You want.
Trying this method I've had some problems with Your model. Try to rebuild it and add additional magnetic insulation condition immediatley after adding mef module. Then add another nodes like Infinite Elements etc. I hope it will works. Unfortunately I have no time to check it deeply.

With regards,
Przemek
Hi, When You add mef physics to the model You can see few default nodes in the model tree. But You can add another nodes by clicking right mouse button on "Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef)". This way You can put another Magnetic Insulation node and select any boundary You want. Trying this method I've had some problems with Your model. Try to rebuild it and add additional magnetic insulation condition immediatley after adding mef module. Then add another nodes like Infinite Elements etc. I hope it will works. Unfortunately I have no time to check it deeply. With regards, Przemek

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.