Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Combining two solutions and plotting the result

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'd like to solve two models, then combine the two solutions in one mathematical formula to get a new result, which I would then like to plot.

Specifically, I'm simulating the optical elec field profile in an optical waveguide. Imagine that I have simulated some eigenmode of the waveguide and found the elec field profile which I will call E1(x,y) for each x, y point in the 2D simulation region. Next I simulate a *different* geometry (but same overall simulation region, just a different shaped waveguide, say), and get a new elec field profile for the eigenmode, which I will call E2(x,y). I can do that. Now, I want to combine the results of those two sims to get a new result (e.g. I may want to find E1 times E2 at each point, for instance) and then plot the new result for each x,y point.

I realize there are some complications with this, not the least of which is that the meshes won't line up. The easiest way for me for getting around this is to just make the two simulation regions have the same mesh. I would do this by setting the mesh manually so it's a nice grid, and is the same in both simulations. However I still don't know how to combine E1 and E2 to get a new result which I then plot.

Any ideas? Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 16.10.2011, 15:23 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello dnh37

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Muhammad Mohsin Rehman

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.10.2011, 15:23 GMT-4
Hi,

Have you solved the problem?

Actually I have also to do something similar.I am building a simple model of heating a fluid using microwaves in 3D using COMSOL 4.0. I have obtained the temperature distribution in 3D. Now I need to plot temperature Vs distance in one dimension only which I am unable to do.

In addition, I want to use the result of this temperature distribution as input for the heat transfer module and get the final output of the heat transfer module.

Can you please suggest something?

Hi, Have you solved the problem? Actually I have also to do something similar.I am building a simple model of heating a fluid using microwaves in 3D using COMSOL 4.0. I have obtained the temperature distribution in 3D. Now I need to plot temperature Vs distance in one dimension only which I am unable to do. In addition, I want to use the result of this temperature distribution as input for the heat transfer module and get the final output of the heat transfer module. Can you please suggest something?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.