Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Continuous Metal Forming in a stationary Solid Simulation (Wire Drawing)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Is it possible to have a stationary solid simulation of metal forming in COMSOL? Generally speaking, it works but can you do it in COMSOL? For the sake of simplicity, I want to discuss a very simple wire drawing process for a purely elastic material (not very sensible but simple). Without any contact problem definition, but rather having the tool implemented as a boundary condition (fixed in radial direction). [Wire drawing](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_drawing)

As far as I understand, the “predescribed velocity” domain and boundary condition do not have any effect on stationary simulations.

The simulation result I want to see: is a pressure building up in the cone, and then a pressure decrease after the cone + a total relaxation (no residual stresses or lasting deformations, since purely static), Probably the mesh after the cone will be highly distorted and thus I will need the Moving Mesh interface. But I have not found any guidance on how to use the moving mesh for a stationary solid forming simulation.

What I do see currently: No stress, no strain. This is because COMSOL does not calculate the strain it takes to get from one point on the z-axis to the next. How do I tell COMSOL to have a "inherited strain memory" along the z-axis?

Help would be very much appreciated. You find a simple stripped down minimalistic model under this post.

Thanks and best regards,

Achim

0 Replies Last Post 31.01.2019, 13:05 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Achim Kupferschmitt

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.