Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatics on a thermally expanded or contracted model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good mornign everyone,

I am currently investigating the electric field distribution on a cable termination and would like to perform the following analysis:

• Calculation of electric field at initial state (Electrostatics)
  • Thermal expansion of the model at different temperatures (Heat transfer in solids plus Solid Mechanics physics)
  • Calculation of electric field at expanded state (Electrostatics with initial condition taken from the thermal expansion study)

Currently, I don't think that there is a link between the thermal expansion model and the electrostatics one, so I am wondering if someone has any experience at this kind of modeling.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kind regards,

Pavlos.

4 Replies Last Post 18.03.2019, 05:33 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 08.03.2019, 09:02 GMT-5

Hi Pavlos,

I guess the most straightforward solution is to add a moving mesh and control the mesh deformation with the deformation from the thermal-structural physics.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Pavlos, I guess the most straightforward solution is to add a moving mesh and control the mesh deformation with the deformation from the thermal-structural physics. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago 08.03.2019, 09:24 GMT-5

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the advice. Actually I found a guide on how to do that and I am following that one at the moment.

Please find a link here: https://www.comsol.de/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/

I believe the other option is you said, using ALE with solid mechanics and electrostatics.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Pavlos.

Hi Edgar, Thanks for the advice. Actually I found a guide on how to do that and I am following that one at the moment. Please find a link here: https://www.comsol.de/blogs/how-to-reuse-a-deformed-shape-as-a-geometry-input/ I believe the other option is you said, using ALE with solid mechanics and electrostatics. Thanks for your time. Kind regards, Pavlos.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 08.03.2019, 12:04 GMT-5

Pavlos,

yes the manual procedure in the blog should work as well. With the ALE you can achieve a fully coupled and dynamic procedure.

Good luck Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Pavlos, yes the manual procedure in the blog should work as well. With the ALE you can achieve a fully coupled and dynamic procedure. Good luck Edgar

Posted: 5 years ago 18.03.2019, 05:33 GMT-4

Hi Edgar,

Thank you very much for the advice.

I will try it both ways to identify the one that suits my case best. (By using the guide, I get some errors that the mesh is problematic in some cases)

Kind regards,

Pavlos.

Hi Edgar, Thank you very much for the advice. I will try it both ways to identify the one that suits my case best. (By using the guide, I get some errors that the mesh is problematic in some cases) Kind regards, Pavlos.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.