Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adaptive meshing in 3D multiphase simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

Has anyone been able to use adaptive mesh refinement in 3D multiphase simulations (e.g. level-set or phase field?). I have no problems using time adaptive refinement in 2D/axisymmetric but for some reason it cannot find consistent initial values in 3D regardless of what solver I use (iterative or direct). The simulation works fine without any adaptive refinement.

This is also the case if I use a minimum refinement level (e.g. only refining 5% of total mesh). Curiously enough, if I use the newly generated mesh but disable the adaptive refinement the solution starts without much trouble.

Any ideas on why this is happening? as you know it's nearly impossible to get accurate numerical results in 3D 2-phase simulation without a sharp interface.

The test case I'm trying to solve is a small cube (L=100um) divided in half into water on the bottom side and air on the top. All boundaries are wetted wall (even though I tried no-slip too) and there is a pressure constraint on one of the nodes.

Kind regards,
Laith

0 Replies Last Post 16.10.2011, 15:13 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Laith Hurmez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.