Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Exporting plot data in Comsol 4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've having issues with the being able to properly export plot data with sufficient resolution. In 3.5, I was able to create a and specify the range and number of data points within that line for export, however I am not able to figure out exactly how to do that in 4.2. I have been able to export the line plot, but I can't figure out how to correctly specify the number of data points. The line consists of temperatures along an arc length. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated

6 Replies Last Post 20.12.2012, 02:48 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.11.2011, 02:19 GMT-5
Hi

in v4 you have several ways, via the tables, the plots or directly from the data solution set. Precision of display and export can be adapted via either the preferences, or the "full precision togle icon" in the table view (all depends on data extraction means).
Then you have the way the data is interpolated/smoothed in the advanced tabs of the plots (these tabs might have to be turned "on" in the preferences or from the "view" selection icon)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in v4 you have several ways, via the tables, the plots or directly from the data solution set. Precision of display and export can be adapted via either the preferences, or the "full precision togle icon" in the table view (all depends on data extraction means). Then you have the way the data is interpolated/smoothed in the advanced tabs of the plots (these tabs might have to be turned "on" in the preferences or from the "view" selection icon) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.12.2012, 13:38 GMT-5
Hi,
I have problem to extract the Eigen frequency value in full precision in COMSOL V4.3. As in COMSOL V3.5, we can easily get the Eigen frequency value in full precision by this way - Postprocessing> Data display>Global>(write expression eigfreq_smppn), tick the check box and the result will display in more than 8 digits. In COMSOL V4.3, I can get the value in full precision which is in table by clicking the icon. But I do not know how to get the Eigen frequency value in full precision in COMSOL V4.3. Can you assist me to get the 'Eigen frequency value' in many digits since the variation in frequency is in few Hz ?. I will be very grateful to you.

Thanking you
Ashish
Hi, I have problem to extract the Eigen frequency value in full precision in COMSOL V4.3. As in COMSOL V3.5, we can easily get the Eigen frequency value in full precision by this way - Postprocessing> Data display>Global>(write expression eigfreq_smppn), tick the check box and the result will display in more than 8 digits. In COMSOL V4.3, I can get the value in full precision which is in table by clicking the icon. But I do not know how to get the Eigen frequency value in full precision in COMSOL V4.3. Can you assist me to get the 'Eigen frequency value' in many digits since the variation in frequency is in few Hz ?. I will be very grateful to you. Thanking you Ashish

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.12.2012, 14:43 GMT-5
Hi

if you can get the vale into a table (where you can display in reduced or full precision, then you can also export this table, or cut&paste it into excel or a txt file manually, no ?

In anycase, be aware that yo ushouldnt trust more than 3-4 digits, at best 6-7 but then you should be sure your mesh is really fine and the solve settings are set to very extreme precision.

FEM is for tendencies, not the last digit, anycase binary number (even double floating today) have (very) limited precision

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you can get the vale into a table (where you can display in reduced or full precision, then you can also export this table, or cut&paste it into excel or a txt file manually, no ? In anycase, be aware that yo ushouldnt trust more than 3-4 digits, at best 6-7 but then you should be sure your mesh is really fine and the solve settings are set to very extreme precision. FEM is for tendencies, not the last digit, anycase binary number (even double floating today) have (very) limited precision -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 02:16 GMT-5
Hi
Thank you for reply.
I would like to say that I am doing my model with fine mesh. The display result is upto 4 digits. I want it in complete 6 digits since the device is in MHz. As u said we can get Eigen frequency in table then precision icon will work. Can u tell me how to get Eigen frequency in table form ?
Thanking you
Ashish
Hi Thank you for reply. I would like to say that I am doing my model with fine mesh. The display result is upto 4 digits. I want it in complete 6 digits since the device is in MHz. As u said we can get Eigen frequency in table then precision icon will work. Can u tell me how to get Eigen frequency in table form ? Thanking you Ashish

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 02:23 GMT-5
Hi

you have the settings in the preferences. And in the tables, you have an Icon to toggle between reduced DISPLAY precision and full DISPLAY precision (but calculations , from my knowledge, is done in "full" double precision

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the settings in the preferences. And in the tables, you have an Icon to toggle between reduced DISPLAY precision and full DISPLAY precision (but calculations , from my knowledge, is done in "full" double precision -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 02:48 GMT-5
Hi,
Thank you I got in different way.
Ashish
Hi, Thank you I got in different way. Ashish

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.