Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A "fault" in solving 2D Schrodinger Equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm now calculating the wave function of a single electron in Schrodinger Equation model. But I have encountered a problem. There are two coefficients used in the model, namely "c" and "a". I set "a" as the electric potential and "c" as 1.905e-19 which is calculated by the kinetic term in Schrodinger Equation. However, when I solve the model, Comsol gave me a 'bumpy' answer (see the attachment 'The ground state.jpg' ). It is obvious a wrong answer for the ground state since the electric potential is not very bumpy (see the picture 'The electric potential.jpg' in the attachment).

When I set "c" as 1.905e-16, nevertheless, Comsol gave the right answer, which is shown in the attachment "The ground state 1e-16.jpg".

Is this an accuracy problem in Comsol? Is there any way to solve it? This is a really critical problem to me because I have to set the coefficient in a very low order of magnitude every time when I solve a Schrodinger Equation problem.

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post 18.11.2011, 18:28 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.11.2011, 18:28 GMT-5
Does anybody have an idea?
Does anybody have an idea?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.