Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using magnetic losses in heat transfer model

Annegret Klein-Heßling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to simulate the thermal behavior of an inductor. Therefore I calculate the magnetic losses with a Magnetic Fields Model (mf) in the frequency domain. Now I want to use the results as input for a heat source in a Heat Transfer Model (ht) in stationary mode.

I am not really sure, how to couple these two models. Can anyone help me?

Best regards, Annegret

2 Replies Last Post 28.11.2011, 06:54 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.11.2011, 10:01 GMT-5
Just a quick answer to use the results of one model in another one. I didn't look at your model.

Put in the two models in comsol by model "add physics"
then delete the 2nd study. (or select replace study in "add physics")
Right click the first study. select study steps select your desired mode stationary, frequency .... for the 2nd study

Click step 1
-under physics selection select only the mf model (deselect the ht model)

Click step 2
-under physics selection select only the ht model (deselect the mf model)
-under values of dependant variables select values of variables not solved for, method solution, study study 1, ....

Now Comsol first performs the mf study and then you can use the results in the ht study. (For the exact naming of the variables see a results plot window under e.g. surface in the section expression there is a Plus sign. Usually it should be something like mf.T for the Temperature)

Cheers
Robert
Just a quick answer to use the results of one model in another one. I didn't look at your model. Put in the two models in comsol by model "add physics" then delete the 2nd study. (or select replace study in "add physics") Right click the first study. select study steps select your desired mode stationary, frequency .... for the 2nd study Click step 1 -under physics selection select only the mf model (deselect the ht model) Click step 2 -under physics selection select only the ht model (deselect the mf model) -under values of dependant variables select values of variables not solved for, method solution, study study 1, .... Now Comsol first performs the mf study and then you can use the results in the ht study. (For the exact naming of the variables see a results plot window under e.g. surface in the section expression there is a Plus sign. Usually it should be something like mf.T for the Temperature) Cheers Robert

Annegret Klein-Heßling

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.11.2011, 06:54 GMT-5
Hi Robert,

thanks for your response. It was very helpful.
Hi Robert, thanks for your response. It was very helpful.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.